• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Gearing from 3:45's to 3:08's

ngzcaz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Anyone have any knowledge what the difference in gearing would be ? A
V6 enough to handle this tall a gearing ? Little if any hauling done by this truck.
What kind of speeedometer change is available, if any, in the cable going from the tranny to the dash ? Reason for the change is the addition of a L/S carrier in the rear end.
Anyone make this change ?

:3gears:

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I would NEVER do that with a v6 ESPECIALY with an A4LD even if it only sees the roads unloaded with small tires you're just begging to fry your tranny. Id be willing to bet your gas milage would suffer and overall it would be a dog. If anything Id go up to 3.73s...

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
:agree:
I think you might have gearing backwards.... a taller or lower gear is numerically higher. So if you want your engine to have more leverage over your tires, i'd put in some 3.73's or 4.10's... you'll actually end up getting better gas mileage and some get up.....

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If you're going through the expense of installing an LS carrier into your rear end correctly, just put your original gears on it. No messing with speedometer cables, no screwed up gearing (it really is backwards...). No new risks on the transmission. And so on.

If you're NOT going through that process, stop now before you break your truck. If the truck even moves, it will break almost immediately. Gearsets must remain together, especially with different gear ratios.

ngzcaz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I should have mentioned that this is the stock 5 speed manual trans which in 1st gear is plently low, however the succeeding gears get tall in a hurry. I dont want to lug the truck but I do a lot of interstate 80 driving in a year and thought it might work.
The L/S carrier is basically what I'm most concerned about. It was a real dog in the limited amount of snow it saw last year. Cant handle that again this year.
I was curious if anyone had actually made the change and with what results.

:bye::woot:

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
:agree:
I think you might have gearing backwards.... a taller or lower gear is numerically higher. So if you want your engine to have more leverage over your tires, i'd put in some 3.73's or 4.10's... you'll actually end up getting better gas mileage and some get up.....
No, you have your gears backwards. "Tall gears"= high gears (numericaly lower).

Trust me you don't want 3.08s, I wouldnt go any taller than what you have now. I made the assumption that you had an A4LD since thats what's in you profile info, you're also gonna be sliping your clutch more than you want. Running your engine on the highway at 3000+RPM wont hurt it.

Last edited:

ngzcaz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
3200 rps is about the number on my monthy 800 miles trips. I knew the automatics were around 3:08's and mine 3: 45's are about the highest ( yes I know the difference between the numbers, the 60's taught me to run 4:11's or 4:56's at the strip ) that Ford made for a manual trans. I probably wpould find myself shifting a bit more than I'd like so I'll probably stick with the 3:45's.
Shame no one posted they made this change, I'd have liked to know first hand what impressions they had.. Thanks for the replies.

:icon_cheers::3gears:

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Well, I just did some calculations. I put 31" tires on my rig, which effectivly made my gear ratio a bit higher (numericaly lower) than 3.08 (with 3.45 gears). I couldnt hold 5th at ANY speed with my 2.9 unless traveling downhill and ended up having to use 4th gear which brought my RPMs back up to where 5th used to be before changing tire sizes, Im now running 4.10s. Im just saying if you go to 3.08s you probably wont be able to hold 5th and have to use 4th anyways which makes changing gears a waste.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
"No, you have your gears backwards. "Tall gears"= high gears (numericaly lower)."

I corrected taller by saying lower. I agreed with you by saying that he would be happier with a much lower gear...both with gas mileage and get up. Lower gears will help with the smaller engine.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Actually you are more likely to shift LESS with numerically larger gears, because with 3.73's you wouldn't have to DOWNSHIFT as often for every little pimple of a hill.

AD

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals