• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Right side tires stick out farther than left?

badbronc92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC V6
Transmission
Automatic
So i never noticed this until i had a buddy riding behind me and told me that at least the rear right tire sticks out at least an inch further than the left rear tire. Since i dont have the center caps on yet I looked at the hubs and the wheels were on exactly the same amount over the hub on all 4 wheels. I have a feelin the same might be for the front too because thats the only tire that rubs some. No matter what i do the left side doesnt rub at all. Any ideas? Seen this before?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I would get out the tape measure and start measuring various places to see if the axles are centered under the frame, and if the body is centered on the frame. Has the truck ever been in an accident?

badbronc92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC V6
Transmission
Automatic
I would get out the tape measure and start measuring various places to see if the axles are centered under the frame, and if the body is centered on the frame. Has the truck ever been in an accident?
nope no accidents, I'm wondering if it might be from the torsion lift and shackles? Idk with the stock tires and wheels it looked perfectly even but maybe it was just exaggerated with the new tires. I'll get up underneath and check it out tomorrow.

88BII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 2.8
Transmission
Manual
check the B/S on the rims one side could have less back space making it stick out more.

badbronc92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC V6
Transmission
Automatic
yeah I bought them from a guy who had them on his wrangler. That's hard to believe tho that one or two of them have a diff backspacing than the other two wouldn't you think?

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
yeah I bought them from a guy who had them on his wrangler. That's hard to believe tho that one or two of them have a diff backspacing than the other two wouldn't you think?
I would think so as well..

Is the body bolted on slightly skewed?

Do the tires stick out more from the frame or the body?

OldJunk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984ish
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l V6 (Home Rebuild!) 2100 motorcraft carb
Transmission
Manual
I see this all the time , dont think this is very uncommon. as for the cause???

therieldeal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
maybe he had a front pair and a rear pair with different offsets, and you just happed to put the sets side to side instead of front to back

badbronc92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC V6
Transmission
Automatic
yeah i think i'm gonna give that a try later today just to see, thanks for the info

Crunchy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I say go to town with a measuring tape, keep measuring and you will figure it out eventually. No need to start swaping tires and everything else and you can measure with it on the ground.

badbronc92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC V6
Transmission
Automatic
so its definitely not anything to do with the wheels. It looks alomst as if the axle is off-set just barely enough to make that 1 inch difference back there. Perhaps it was from the shackles? Idk, I think next week sometime I'll take a look at trying to reposition the rear axle to the left by about an inch and rebolt the u-bolts. Thoughts?

fordboi415

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0V6
Transmission
Manual
take it to a bodyshop and see if they can check the angles on your frame to see if your truck chassis is scissored my dads 82 f150 truck dog tracked for a while about 22 years ago lmao and he noticed the wheels were sticking out farther on one side so he took it to a shop and they told him his frame was a few degrees off and thats was causing his problem

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
so its definitely not anything to do with the wheels. It looks alomst as if the axle is off-set just barely enough to make that 1 inch difference back there. Perhaps it was from the shackles? Idk, I think next week sometime I'll take a look at trying to reposition the rear axle to the left by about an inch and rebolt the u-bolts. Thoughts?
You won't be able to reposition it at the u-bolts, the axle is centered on the leaf perches with bolts that go through the leaf spring pack, although if one or both of those bolts is sheared, it could cause that problem (it would also be possible for the axle to move forward or backward in the wheelwell in this case too).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals