• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Full-width Dana 44

triumphrider-1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Engine Size
3.7L
Transmission
Automatic
So I was pondering my (someday) conversion to full width solid axles and got to thinking. I want to run a D44 high pinion up front and was initially going to use the 9-inch out back, but I want to run a high pinion out back as well. Considering the cost of converting a 9-inch to high pinion I am leaning more towards running another D44 in the rear. In the process I also am contemplating a rear steer setup like the Chevy's had a few years back.

Any thoughts? Comments? Suyggestions?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
A HP D44 won't survive well as a rear axle. If a Hi-9 is out of the budget, I'd use a HP D60 out back.

97BlackBetty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A D44 is already so much weaker than a 8.8, and then to make it a HP for use as a rear xle is just making it that much weaker. When you have a HP axle used for the rear, the pinion drives on the coasting side of the ring gear. That and what, you gain an extra inch, maybe.

triumphrider-1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Engine Size
3.7L
Transmission
Automatic
No, it'd be more like 2 inches. :) :blush: The Hi-9 is nice though because that bumps it something like 4" (just thought I'd add that).

I understand that it will be on the coast side, that is what it would be (Hi-9 would be the same, just a bit stronger).

A D60 may be a little larger than what is necessary for me, but I think I will do some checking up on the specs (have other ideas for the axles as well).

Edit:
Thinking about this a little more...I do have acess to a 1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer with D60 front and rear.

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
What size tires are you planning? A HP D44 out back isn't going to like much more than 33s or so (31s if you're using a steer axle).

The Hi-9 is also WAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY more than "just a bit" stronger :rolleyes:

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
No, it'd be more like 2 inches. :) :blush: The Hi-9 is nice though because that bumps it something like 4" (just thought I'd add that).

I understand that it will be on the coast side, that is what it would be (Hi-9 would be the same, just a bit stronger).

A D60 may be a little larger than what is necessary for me, but I think I will do some checking up on the specs (have other ideas for the axles as well).

Edit:
Thinking about this a little more...I do have acess to a 1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer with D60 front and rear.
A grand wagoneer would have a low pinion d44 front and an AMC20 rear

triumphrider-1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Engine Size
3.7L
Transmission
Automatic
What size tires are you planning? A HP D44 out back isn't going to like much more than 33s or so (31s if you're using a steer axle).

The Hi-9 is also WAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY more than "just a bit" stronger :rolleyes:
I am leaning more towards 35" tires, but I am also considering 33" tires (can't make up my mind yet :icon_twisted:). "Just a bit" was meant to be sarcastic, but I cannot convey emtion to well through typing. :dntknw:

A grand wagoneer would have a low pinion d44 front and an AMC20 rear
With 6 lugs?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Yeah a HP D44 rear would not fare well with tires that size.

The Currie HP rear (8.8") might be worth considering, pretty sure its cheaper than a true Hi-9... Obviously it wouldn't be as strong, but should still be adequate for those tires.

Edit: Is this for your Supercab truck in your sig? Why do you want a high-pinion rear for that? You should have plenty of driveshaft on that thing :icon_confused:

triumphrider-1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Engine Size
3.7L
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah a HP D44 rear would not fare well with tires that size.

The Currie HP rear (8.8") might be worth considering, pretty sure its cheaper than a true Hi-9... Obviously it wouldn't be as strong, but should still be adequate for those tires.

Edit: Is this for your Supercab truck in your sig? Why do you want a high-pinion rear for that? You should have plenty of driveshaft on that thing :icon_confused:
I'll have to check into that. Thanks.

Yeah, it'll be for the supercab. I am planning for a high pinion to keep it more up and out of the way (safer is better :)) not really worried about length.

Toreadorranger

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I'll have to check into that. Thanks.

Yeah, it'll be for the supercab. I am planning for a high pinion to keep it more up and out of the way (safer is better :)) not really worried about length.
Just spend the money on a Nice thick Dshaft.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15

Live 2B OffRoad

U.S. Military - Active
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
im lost, how could a front d44 be used in the rear? and why woud it be so much weaker than if it was in the front? is it because he wants to use a HP? heh my mind is gone right now im sure someone will straighten me out.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
im lost, how could a front d44 be used in the rear? and why woud it be so much weaker than if it was in the front? is it because he wants to use a HP? heh my mind is gone right now im sure someone will straighten me out.
Like 97BlackBetty said above, the gears are being driven on the wrong (weaker) side of the teeth. D44 front axleshafts with their u-joints are not near as strong as a straight rear shaft would be either.
Combine that with the added stress of weight transfer that a rear axle sees while climbing an obstacle offroad (or even with simple hard acceleration) you have a recipe for breakage. With a D60 (or the Hi-9 with 60-sized shafts), it's parts are so much bigger they have enough reserve strength that they will better tolerate being run "backwards" like that.

Think of it as driving in reverse up every tough hillclimb or other obstacle offroad... your front axle won't last very long doing that.

That help out?

sasdranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i just put the 9" in my truck and I'm not liking how low the drive shaft hangs, atleast on the 8.8 the yoke isn't completely at the bottom of the housing.

only time will tell how long it will last.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals