• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Welded Front with hydro assist?

97_4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
As most of you know I am doing a SAS on the ranger and I WILL be doing a saginaw pump and a hyro assist (adding a cylinder) for the steering.

What are your thoughts on welding the front diff with a additional power of the ram?

I had my D35 welded and I hated it, couldn't turn but I had the stock pump and 35" tires.

I would be adding a locker in the future but need to get the axle in and off road worthy for as little coin as I can. Welding it would allow me to use the money in some other areas.

Will turning still be a big problem or will it be trail worthy?

Thanks

Chris

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
The wheels need to turn at different speeds when you turn. If you weld the diff it will not want to turn regardless of how much boost you have on the steering.

97_4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, I understand that but it really isn't an issue on trails, (soft terrain). No it wouldn't be locked on the street. If I really had to drive it on the street (say in the winter), I would just keep one hub unlocked to eliminate the issue of turning at different speeds.

Chris

dirtraider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
my friend wheels welded/welded with hydro assist, you can hardly tell the front end is locked, it turns great. He said he would never spend money for lockers after doinit....he is trail only though.

97_4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
thanks dirtraider... I will eventually get a locker up front, and i only intend to drive this onthe street a handfull of times per year, but if the winter roads get really bad it will be my choice...Cause i am not worried aobut denting it...lol

Welded it is.

Thanks

Chris

patov6

July 2007 TOTM Winner!
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
As most of you know I am doing a SAS on the ranger and I WILL be doing a saginaw pump and a hyro assist (adding a cylinder) for the steering.
Chris
Hi Chris,
I don`t know anything about adding a cylinder. Could you be so kind to go deeper in this topic? Tips, brands, pics...?
Thanks!
Pato

97_4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
patov, check out redriverranger's cardomain page here:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/477871

Specifically pages, 4 and 11.

But here's the general idea.

You tap the steering box in 2 places one on each side of the the piston. You get a hydrolic cylinder, mount it to the axle and attach the end of the ram to the knuckle along with a standard style drag link and tie rod. You then run hydrolic lines from the place tapped in the steering box to the cylinder.

As you turn the wheel the steering box along with the power steering pump sends pressurized fluid to the ram, therefor it has the power of an additional hydrolic cylinder helping to turn the wheels but the safety of having a actual drag link and tie rod incase a hose fails or gets ripped off.

Hope that is clear as mud...lol

Chris

patov6

July 2007 TOTM Winner!
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
patov, check out redriverranger's cardomain page here:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/477871

Specifically pages, 4 and 11.

But here's the general idea.

You tap the steering box in 2 places one on each side of the the piston. You get a hydrolic cylinder, mount it to the axle and attach the end of the ram to the knuckle along with a standard style drag link and tie rod. You then run hydrolic lines from the place tapped in the steering box to the cylinder.

As you turn the wheel the steering box along with the power steering pump sends pressurized fluid to the ram, therefor it has the power of an additional hydrolic cylinder helping to turn the wheels but the safety of having a actual drag link and tie rod incase a hose fails or gets ripped off.

Hope that is clear as mud...lol

Chris
Cool ;)
Thanks

Redriverranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Don't forget to carry block off plugs, or better yet caps for your fittings in case you blow a hose, or cylinder.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals