• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4x4 snow driving

ford ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hi everyone, i just got 07 ranger 4x4 its a open diff 3.73 8.8 thought it had l/s owell my ? is this open vs l/s in the snow bought it for winter driven thanks

Citoriplus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L Duratech
Transmission
Manual
Bottom line is that if you have decent tires and drive with a bit of common sense you'll never have to find out how well the 4WD option works in snow.
I got my first Ranger back in 02. It was an 01 XL 2.5L/ 5 speed w/2WD and after I stuck a Truetrac in back I never had a problem with snow. With a 4WD, even one with open diffs you shouldn't have a big problem with snow. If you can just keep decent tires on it you'll already be way ahead of the curve. Stick a good L/S in back and it will be able to handle nearly anything nature can throw in your way.

michowski

Reaction score
tires more then anything make the biggest difference in snow. And remember. 4wd only helps you accelerate faster then normal. It doesnt turn better, braking is the same. So be carefull and use caution. 4x4 doesnt mean you cant spin out or slide out of control.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Tires and the lack of excessive speed are the ticket in snow. I have found steering in 4wd to be a tad better at low speeds, it can pull the front end around a corner thru snow rather than try to use the front wheels as a rudder. I used to throw 2 sandbags in the back of my Ranger for a little extra balast when I drove it in snow, it was light enough in the rear it would float around on slush pretty bad. My F-150 has enough extra weight on the rear to keep things in line better. I have had my Ranger in drifts up to the bumper and I got thru them, with open diffs on both ends and car tires that were less than ideal for anything other than sunny summer driving at low speeds.

PARKINGLOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
for normal snow, it'll be fine. really, unless your challenging, like, 3 foot tall snowdrifts (which I have, btw, in my old BII, all stock, 31" MTR's, 3.45's, open both diffs) you'll be fine. Get a good set of AT's or MT's and you'll be good to go...

Citoriplus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L Duratech
Transmission
Manual
Check around your area and see if you can find an offroad 4X4 shop. Most of them can put an L/S in the rear for under $300, depending on the local labor rates, and sometimes they just have a flat fee for it.
Then get a Truetrac LS in your axle size, 7.5 or 8.8 off evil bay for under $400 and your all set to go.
Even though a locker is a far better option for off road use. I would not recomend one for a truck that's normally only driven on the street, and especially one that's driven by a novice (sorry, but they can be a handful if your not well aquainted with them) and see's more snow covered pavement than dirt or mud.
The dealer is probably not trying to "rip you off" with that quote. I'll bet he's just quoting the cost of a full master install kit, bearings, seals, the Traction-Loc, gear oil, and the labor rate he has in the "big book" of jobs.

seminaryranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You'll be fine with what you got.

I had my first experience/lesson driving in snow when I lived in northern Kansas. I made out with my 2wd all right, but it was never confidence inspiring. I had a hard time getting away from curbs in town when I wanted to leave somewhere. I had a hard time getting up some of the country roads to get where I was living. I even have an Auburn Limited Slip.

Your truck will do very well as it sits. When your tires get thin, get a good set of all terrain tires, and it'll be even better than it is now.

Throw a Detroit Tru-Trac in the rear if you want even more. They're the best limited slips you can buy if you ask me.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
especially one that's driven by a novice (sorry, but they can be a handful if your not well aquainted with them)
Even though I agree that a locker is probably not being the best option for his needs, I disagree about them being a handfull, where does everyone get this notion (sp?) that a locker is so bad and that they should be left to only "serious wheelers". It is very simple to drive, if you put your foot in it, it locks, if you don't, it doesn't (unless you are doing some serious compression braking) and you use slight positive throttle on corners, it's so easy even a cave man could do it!

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
ive driven a vehicle with lockers in the snow. they are great for going in a straight line....but thats about it.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
ive driven a vehicle with lockers in the snow. they are great for going in a straight line....but thats about it.
I personally think an LS would be just as bad since the traction is so limited that it wouldn't differentiate like on normal pavement and 'would spin both tires, but thats just me.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The dealer is probably not trying to "rip you off" with that quote. I'll bet he's just quoting the cost of a full master install kit, bearings, seals, the Traction-Loc, gear oil, and the labor rate he has in the "big book" of jobs.
Would the diffs of a 2007 truck need a complete rebuild? They are probably not even broken in from the factory yet.

I think the big thing with a limited slip or a locker is when you are in 2wd and come across something you don't expect. With 4x4 engaged on a limited slip equipped truck you would have more directional control than being in 4x2 in the same truck to keep the rear from trying to pass the front.

Forcus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Regarding the warranty, the only thing it would "void" are broken parts or wear as the result of the part or the installation. If your trans goes out, it's not because of the locker and they cannot void your warranty on the trans (abuse is another issue). If your rear brakes go out (leaks, etc), they cannot void your warranty. But if the gears start making noise, or you break an axle, it's always possible they will give you a hassle (and possibly rightly so), because Ford didn't screw up the installation, your shop did, and lockers can be hard on axles. They will still probably give you a hassle if for instance your trans went out but it would be hard to prove. Chances are, they would not even know about the aftermarket LS unless you told them about it.

Anyways, I'd give it a try this winter and see what happens. I've never had a problem with 2WD and street tires in snow / ice. Just careful driving. I'd fully believe that with 4WD and good factory tires, you will be fine. But then again, there are people who have trouble staying out of the ditch on sunny days.......

McDerry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I personally think an LS would be just as bad since the traction is so limited that it wouldn't differentiate like on normal pavement and 'would spin both tires, but thats just me.

The L/S works worlds better in the snow then a locker.

With the locker you give it gas and the truck slides downhill, then your in the ditch or resting on a guardrail, etc.

With the limited slip it starts spinning a tire and the other one starts getting pressure, and once your rolling theres very little resistance to keep the truck moving.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I still disagree. I had a worn LS, it would easily spin both tires in situations that had MORE traction than packed snow. When in a low tration situation I still think an LS will spin both tires just as easily as a locker, the tires just dont have enough traction to overcome the clutchs in the diff.

Stumpy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I still disagree. I had a worn LS, it would easily spin both tires in situations that had MORE traction than packed snow. When in a low tration situation I still think an LS will spin both tires just as easily as a locker, the tires just dont have enough traction to overcome the clutchs in the diff.
x1

Locker & L/S are just about the same in low torque/low traction situations in my experience...

Just drive with your head and not your foot. You'll be fine.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals