• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3/2.3turbo in a boat

yellowpokeadot

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
hi everyone new to the site but very glad to have joined. i have a 18ft boat that has a omc ford motor in it and it is in need of a rebuild. so i have come to the experts here to see what i can and cannot do. i would like to increase the performance of it and the reliablity of it in the sense that it is carb now and would like to up grade to efi. turbo is really not a choice for me as usgc requries that a turbo engine be water cooled but iif it is not to hard a job then maybe i would consider it. so anything that you can think of would greatly be appricated. thanks again.

Turbo-T

Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3Turbo
Transmission
Manual
What year OMC? The only 4 cyl OMC's I've ever seen have been the old chevyII engine.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
water cooling is as simple as obtaining a heat exchanger and raw water pump. a 2.3 turbo from a turbo coupe would make a swell boat motor :icon_cheers:

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
If you go to EFI, you have to be real careful about getting moisture into the electrical connectors. Corrosion can cause bad problems in marine applications!!

yellowpokeadot

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
boat motor

the boat is a 1989 vip vision with a mid 80's ford motor with stern drive. i've check out lots of websites as far as performance and there are still a lot out there. i would really like the efi for effiency and reliablity but i'm unsure how to make the o2 sensor work with a water cooled exhaust. sealing the electric compoments from elements i can handle its getting everything to work toghter that gets me worried. i really appricate those of you that are replying. thanks again.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
For a boat you want low-speed torque. Unless you do plan to run it at higher speed/rpm a lot, I don't think that engine would be a good candidate.
Running a boat is essentially like towing a trailer, uphill, all day, for the engine.
A few years ago one of the ski boat companies built about 50 with marinized Cadillac Northstars, which you might think would work out, but it didn't for the same reason.

yellowpokeadot

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic

thought that was the case. i talk to elsinger about a stroker kit and it just seems to much money. not when i can get an outboard 225 for 500. but i will look into it and thanks for answereing.

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
There are a few things you could think about, a turbo is definitely NOT one of them.

If you have to rebuild the motor anyway and you want to upgrade it, I'd suggest swapping out the bottom end for a 2.5 litre short block ('98-'01 Ranger). You'll have to retain your head but, you can have it ported and polished. I'd also suggest swapping up to a Ranger ('89-'94) Roller cam and followers. If you really have money buring a hole in your pocket you can look into aftermarket cams.

As for swapping up to EFI, it has it's advantages and disadvantages. The biggest draw back for retrofitting onto a boat motor is the fact that you now have fuel under 40-55psi of pressure in an enclosed motor box. You had better be damn sure of all of your connections.

I'm assuming that your using one of the last of the Cobra drives, yes? If so what prop are you running?

yellowpokeadot

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic

why do you say no to turbo. seems like a great idea to me. yes i have a cobra drive on it now that i'm rebuilding. i'm sure that turbo seems "outhere" but i know that it is possiable and i have seen it but i guess its time to relastic. i would really like only to get the motor to 180-200hp. thats all she really needs. just want it to be reliable and want it to start every time. what do you think about dist. upgrade with ignition upgrade. i really dont like carb but i think that i'm going to have to stick with it. seems the easy way to go. let me know thanks. the only other option is to put big outboard on back but that will ruin the lines of the boat.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
you use torque primarily in a displacement hull. in a speed boat, its all about horsepower (spinning a small prop at high speed). regardless, a turbo gives you plenty of both.

using a wet manifold on a turbo is probably not practical. you'd need to come up with some way to draw large amounts of fresh air into the engine compartment (large bilge blowers maybe?).

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
A turbo is a bad idea for any normal use boat, no matter what some our less learned members have to say. For a small boat 2.3 based turbo you would need an open engine bay, due to the high heat generated, and weigh less than about 1500#. Turbos don't generate low end torque and since you ain't getting onto a plane without that it would be useless. I'm assuming here that your on plane cruise rpm is in the 2000-2500rpm range, turbos normally don't start making power until 3000rpm. I can't imagine wanting to stress an engine with a turbo and then expect it to live at 3/4 throttle for hours on end.

Upgrading to an electronic ignition is a good idea but, don't discount points too quickly. They are dead simple and will get you home everytime. Maybe put some thought to adding an MSD box. Then even if it does crap out you can rewire it in 5 minutes and be on your way.

What carb do you currently have on there? I've seen the OMC 2.3 motors but never paid attention to the carb. Depending on what way you want to go and how much money you have to throw at this, a '85-'88 Ranger and '85-'91 Mustang lower intake manifold can be adapted to fit a Holley 390cfm 4-bbl. It works very well on the 2.3 and can be marinized easily.

One minor addendum to my earlier post, to put the 2.5 short block in your boat you'll need to use a '89-'94 2.3 block as the later 2.3-2.5 blocks did not have a provision for a distributor.

And just to assure you that I do have some experience in these matters, I'm currently running a 383ci Chevy motor on my '87 Cobra drive w/ 22" 4-blade SS prop. It's been doing very well for quite a few years now. So I know 2.3's and I know boats.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
a 2.3 turbo can be good for 190 HP and 200 ft-lbs (@2500 RPM).

versus the n/a 2.3's 90 HP and 134 (@2,000 rpm). turbos give a nice kick to low end torque AND high end power.

he's probably not turning that low of an RPM...but if he is, he can re-prop to match the engines power curve.

you can get the forged pistons and crank from a 2.3 turbo motor and not worry about turning 4,000 all day long.

they use these motors in oval track....if thats not the ultimate test in sustained RPM durability, i dont know what is.

turbos have a great power to weight ratio advantage over a n/a engine.

yellowpokeadot

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
wow you folks have really come thru on this one. i cant thank you enough for all the info. it is really handy to have. if there is anything else to add please let me know. thanks

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I too have a lot of experience with the 2.3 but, have never had or seen one in a boat. I don't think going F.I. would be in your best interest. Holley makes marine specific carbs and as long as you keep your carb clean in and out you will have no problems with it. Carb and points, So simple you can fix any problem with a paper clip and duct tape! 200 hp NA is pretty easy with a 2.3.

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
you can get the forged pistons and crank from a 2.3 turbo motor and not worry about turning 4,000 all day long.
There is no difference between a turbo and N/A rods and cranks up until Ford went to cracked rods in '95(ish).

If you think that turbo motors add to bottom end torque then you truely have never owned one.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals