• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Replacing shackle bracket - holes don't line up

joecool85

Reaction score
I'm replacing a shackle and shackle bracket on the rear of the passenger side of my 88 supercab and I finally got the old bracket off. The new one's holes don't quite line up. If I get the two left holes to line up the right side doesn't and vice versa. One hole is close, maybe 1/16" off and the other is damn near 1/4" off. Should I just put in two bolts to hold it still and drill the other two holes till I can bolt it down? I bought the shackle bracket straight from ford, but I bought it last year and I'm just getting around to installing it now.

Any help would be gladly appreciated, the truck is taking up driveway space at my parent's right now and I'd love to get it out of their way soon.

pimtool

OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I would call them and double check the part #.

joecool85

Reaction score
I would call them and double check the part #.
I would, but for some reason I thought it was a good idea to rip the sticker off the thing before installing it, so it's long gone.

**edit**
btw, I'm no TRS newb, I just hadn't posted since the board got blanked.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
Take it and the stock one you have back. It shouldn't be off more than what a 1/2in bit can't line back up when you drill the holes for bolts. There are 4 holes there for a reason, don't use two.

Matt

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
mine were like that too on a couple different occasions, using an old part from a parts truck and using dealer parts. i just redrilled the holes, i think they were 7/16" and i drilled them 1/2" and used 1/2" hardware

joecool85

Reaction score
Take it and the stock one you have back. It shouldn't be off more than what a 1/2in bit can't line back up when you drill the holes for bolts. There are 4 holes there for a reason, don't use two.

Matt
Maybe I wasn't clear, I am thinking of bolting it in place with 2 bolts so that it stays perfectly still to drill out the other two holes, then putting those bolts in place as well, thus giving me 4 bolts holding it on. I'm not stupid, this bracket supports a huge portion of the truck's weight and it would be unsafe to do this half assed.

joecool85

Reaction score
mine were like that too on a couple different occasions, using an old part from a parts truck and using dealer parts. i just redrilled the holes, i think they were 7/16" and i drilled them 1/2" and used 1/2" hardware
Good to know, I think thats what I will do.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals