• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2100 motorcraft carb on a 85 bII

roughranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i have a 2100 off of a 67 289, is this to much carb to replace the factory 2150? I figure the 2100 has more CFM but is it to much for te 2.8? the motor is stock but is in a mud truck so i dont care about MPG's. i read so where else i wold have to measure the ventries to get a idea of the CFM but just wanted u guys opinion. thanks rough

Jorley

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 duraspark
Transmission
Manual

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I tried it, my '71 2100 that came on my '67 289 was plain and simple too big.

Overall I just couldn't get it to run right, the little engine just couldn't move enough air at idle to keep everything moving properly. It ran ok at speed, better than it ever has, but fell flat on its face at idle.

The holes in the carb spacer are too small as well, and that bugger is made out of some interesting material. It took me 2 hours at a drill press with a rotory file to get the stupid thing to even look like it would work, and then it didn't.

So back to the crapper feedback...:black_eye:

The big difference is that there is at least two sizes of 2150, the one that came on a 351M or 400 is not the same as the one that came on a Pinto, it has bigger venturi's. The instructions in my rebuild kit mentioned nothing smaller than a 260 something for setup, and went up to a 390.

Last edited:

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have done carb swaps on a few Jeeps. The smallest 2100/2150 made has a 1.08 venturi and fits the 4.2 litre Jeep engine rather well... It is easy to rebuild and pretty stout in that application. Although them carbs were installed on Ford engines all the way up to 400 cu in the six cylinder was the smallest and had the 1.08 venturi in it.
Many guys have installed 2100's with 1.20 and above venturi and had poor performance on the 4.2 engine.
Big JIm

alabamaranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
90 YJ Wrangler
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You have to have a 2100 or 2150 with the 1.08 stamp. I think the jet size is around 46 or 47.

If using a 2100, be careful of the carb gasket. If you don't have the right one, you will get a vacuum leak. I would stay with the non computer 2150 type.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals