• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2000 explorer airbag sensors

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Since my Explorer is getting somewhat started recently, and the plan is for an offroad build I don't really want airbags going off in my face when I do something I probably shouldn't :). That said, where's the sensors for the airbags? And while I was pulling the transmission/transfer case the other day I noticed a module in the drivers side frame rail in front of the fuel tank that said "Contains Mercury, do not throw away", is that a fuel cutoff or something?

Once I get the tranny back from my buddy, the 4406 I got is going in, so things will start coming together, now that the battery is disconnected I figured it would be a good time to do a couple other precautionary things...

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Just realized this is a no-no... this is honestly the first vehicle I've had personally with airbags I think... the '92 Lincoln might have, but I didn't have it long... I've been ignoring airbags all these years...

Sorry about that...

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm not sure where you were going with your truck, but if you don't have 5-point harness then airbags would probably be good.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Yeah, it will be a general offroader, sand, trails, probably not snow since it'll be a heavy pig... there's a chance it will end up like your truck in your avatar... I know my Ranger has ended up like that...

I'll leave them for now, but think I know what to do if I decide otherwise... I just don't want them to go off if something stupid happens like a slowmo rollover, or if I accidently run into a cut down tree hiding in a ditch or something (just going off of things that have happened to me...)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals