• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Project Street Sweeper

Swamp_Nut14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Credo?... what's that?
Hey guys. I got this ranger for free to work as a project and hopefully be my daily driver by next year.
This is a 1990 2.3l 5spd ranger. The plan is to build a daily driver that can get up and go.

Swamp_Nut14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Credo?... what's that?
The heart of this beast will be a 2.3l turbo engine out of a 1984 mustang svo.

I plan on porting and polishing the intake, tubular header, 70lb injectors, a camshaft (not sure which one, or what parts would go along with it), a turbo upgrade and a front mount intercooler, single 3 inch exhaust

The engine did not come with a wiring harness or ecu so any help in this department would be helpful.

Any suggestions

Attachments

Enemy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The heart of this beast will be a 2.3l turbo engine out of a 1984 mustang svo.

I plan on porting and polishing the intake, tubular header, 70lb injectors, a camshaft (not sure which one, or what parts would go along with it), a turbo upgrade and a front mount intercooler, single 3 inch exhaust

The engine did not come with a wiring harness or ecu so any help in this department would be helpful.

Any suggestions
Nothing better than a free project truck! :icon_thumby:
Quite the herd of turbo Rangers rolling out of garages these days lol

For harness and ECU, if the funds are available, I would go with a Stinger Pimpx and the harness they have built through Ron Davis wiring. Possibly just a couple pin mods depending on what ignition you decide to run.
http://stinger-performance.com/
If the 2.3 in the truck now is the Ranger Roller cam (not sure what year they started using that cam..), you already have a pretty good cam right there for a swap with an adjustable pulley to retard the timing a few degrees to pick up some top end. I really enjoyed the bottom end it produced in my old motor, good daily driver cam.

Be sure to check out their forum and Q&A section at Stingers site, a wealth of info there.

Swamp_Nut14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Credo?... what's that?
Nothing better than a free project truck! :icon_thumby:
Quite the herd of turbo Rangers rolling out of garages these days lol

For harness and ECU, if the funds are available, I would go with a Stinger Pimpx and the harness they have built through Ron Davis wiring. Possibly just a couple pin mods depending on what ignition you decide to run.
http://stinger-performance.com/
If the 2.3 in the truck now is the Ranger Roller cam (not sure what year they started using that cam..), you already have a pretty good cam right there for a swap with an adjustable pulley to retard the timing a few degrees to pick up some top end. I really enjoyed the bottom end it produced in my old motor, good daily driver cam.

Be sure to check out their forum and Q&A section at Stingers site, a wealth of info there.
Yeah I am thinking about saving the money for the pimpx ecu and wiring harness. What ignition would you suggest? MSD?

I think the 2.3l in the ranger has a roller cam so I would be able to swap all the cam and the rocker arms.

Swamp_Nut14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Credo?... what's that?
I am torn between keeping the truck at the height it is know or going to a djm 3/4 kit.

OkayKafka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I believe they started using the roller cam in 89. I think that you can grab a roller cam, lifters, and rockers from an 89-93 ranger (someone correct me if I'm wrong. I know that not too late after that you need to open the rockers up ever so slightly 95 or 96) and you can have a nice upgrade to that svo if it doesn't already have a roller cam.

OkayKafka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Looks like you can pull one from an 89-95 ranger and have no issue.
I have a camshaft setup from a 96. I don't mind opening up the rockers the small amount . Just haven't figured out exactly how I want to do it. Will probably just use a file.

http://www.route66hotrodhigh.com/2300Cams.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swamp_Nut14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Credo?... what's that?
Looks like you can pull one from an 89-95 ranger and have no issue.
I have a camshaft setup from a 96. I don't mind opening up the rockers the small amount . Just haven't figured out exactly how I want to do it. Will probably just use a file.

http://www.route66hotrodhigh.com/2300Cams.html

Thank you so much for the info. Will be pulling the one out from the 2.3l engine currently in the ranger and the lifters and rockers

Swamp_Nut14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Credo?... what's that?
Will the stock ranger 5spd hold up? Or should I change to a transmission out of a mustang?

OkayKafka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Will the stock ranger 5spd hold up? Or should I change to a transmission out of a mustang?

As far as I've read it should be fine. We aren't talking about a huge upgrade in horsepower here. Mostly what you're getting is more efficiency since you're moving to a roller system.

I'm planning on doing a similar setup as yours it seems. I'd like to get a Borg Warner T5 transmission (mustang, turbocoupe swap) since I want to turbocharge the motor and add a good amount of ponies to the truck. Getting the T5 makes it safer/ easier to get parts. I've been having trouble finding parts for my TK5 that's in there. It's apparently a pretty meh transmission and no one really cares for it.

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The m5r1 is a light duty transmission. If you don't drop the clutch every shift it'll hold up. But if you plan to really drive the truck. A t5 would be a wise upgrade

Swamp_Nut14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Credo?... what's that?
As far as I've read it should be fine. We aren't talking about a huge upgrade in horsepower here. Mostly what you're getting is more efficiency since you're moving to a roller system.

I'm planning on doing a similar setup as yours it seems. I'd like to get a Borg Warner T5 transmission (mustang, turbocoupe swap) since I want to turbocharge the motor and add a good amount of ponies to the truck. Getting the T5 makes it safer/ easier to get parts. I've been having trouble finding parts for my TK5 that's in there. It's apparently a pretty meh transmission and no one really cares for it.

I was thinking about getting a t5 as well. But isn't the mustang a cable clutch and the ranger a hydraulic?

As far as the engine I was also planning on these things on top of the cam shaft:
-center mount header
-T04E t3/t4 turbo
-boost controller
-Walbro 255 lph fuel pump
- 60lb injectors
-Ported and polished intake
-3" single exhaust
-3" front mount intercooler
- Stinger Pimpx ecu
-stinger Pimpx wiring harness

too much?

OkayKafka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I was thinking about getting a t5 as well. But isn't the mustang a cable clutch and the ranger a hydraulic?

As far as the engine I was also planning on these things on top of the cam shaft:
-center mount header
-T04E t3/t4 turbo
-boost controller
-Walbro 255 lph fuel pump
- 60lb injectors
-Ported and polished intake
-3" single exhaust
-3" front mount intercooler
- Stinger Pimpx ecu
-stinger Pimpx wiring harness

too much?

I honestly don't know enough to be able to say if that's going to over stress the transmission. I'll let someone else chime in on that one.
Sounds like a cool setup though. Similar to what I'd like to do. I'm just pretty far away from being ready. Apparently, these things cost money.

Think you're right. I read somewhere that the Thunderbirds t5 is hydraulic. At least from the sounds of it that's how it is. Not sure if it's dependent on the year either.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The stock T5 will move your shifter back almost between the seats, so be ready for that if you go that route. I think you can use an S10 tailshaft and get it closer to the stock location but it's been awhile since I looked into a T5. Here's a thread about swapping tailshafts: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/t5-tailshaft-swap-for-dummies-with-pictures.280529/

T5 hydraulic clutch kits are available, so that part should be doable, it's just going to add to the cost of the swap.

It might be a good idea to pop over to TurboRangerForum to see how many of those guys are still running stock Ranger transmissions. They're the biggest and best resource I've seen for the 2.3T stuff.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals