• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1991 Ranger Street/Strip 351w?.? Project DEADLINE 1 Oct 2016 Cruisin the coast

adamshadow2008

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Automatic
1991 Ranger Street/Strip 302 Project DEADLINE 1 Oct 2016 Cruisin the coast

Long time no see folks, I started a 1990 ford ranger 302 swap a few years back. I purchased the 302 engine, aod tranny, 8.8rearend, and new tires for the truck. That week, a 76 year old deaf woman pulled out in front of me and totally destroyed my ranger. Afterwards I bought a 2011 Camry, which I traded for a 2013 mustang gt, then I bought a 1981 corvette (which I still own), and finally I traded the stang for a 2013 ford focus st (still own). Now I am back to my original plan.

I want v8 powered ranger fun.
Purchased today (4/17/2016) a 1991 Ford ranger xlt regular cab with 2.3l blown head gasket, automatic transmission, and 7.5" 4.10 rearend.

She was brought home on a trailer. "She was ran a little hot, I think everything is okay. Changed the timing belt. Turned her over but wouldn't start. May have a blown headgasket."

Yeah it may have a blown headgaset....

Last edited:

adamshadow2008

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Automatic
Goal: street-able v8 power by 1 Oct for Crusin the coast
Pictures will be back. Issues with size and links.

Plan: After talking with the very helpful people at advanced adapters, and a few members of this forum I have shied away from the 351w swap FOR NOW! To make any headers work with a 351w requires notching of the frame which I am not willing to do currently. Thanks for the help with this decision.

Budget is $4000
1991 Ford Ranger $600
302/5.0L Efi
C4 Transmission
8.8 31 spline with disc brakes
Minor Suspension changes to provide traction: new shocks, explorer springs, caltrac bars etc
Mikey Thompson drag radials
True Dual exhaust with nice and quiet mufflers no cats, and electric exhaust cutout kit
New passenger door
New passenger front fender

Last edited:

adamshadow2008

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Automatic
Unanswered problems

Number 1 priority was to Eradicate the Planet Fitness Stickers on the truck

For anyone who doesn't have a Haynes manual, this is how I went about removal of my engine/tranny. I have give all of the credit for this to my Haynes manual, it made it idiot proof for me. Also I highly recommend having a way to keep track of all of the nuts and bolts you will be pulling out. I used numerous bags and markers to label them. This is Still in progress and hope to have it done by Friday evening.

1. Drain all fluids.
2. Marked location of hood hinges, then removed hood.
3. Disconnected battery
4. Disconnected overflow, upper, and lower metal radiator hoses as well as the upper/lower metal pipe running to the radiator(this was the hardest part)
5. Removed radiator shroud screws (2)
6. Removed radiator upper support screws (2)
7. Removed engine fan (4?) and shroud assembly.
8. Removed radiator

Last edited:

adamshadow2008

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Automatic
Tonight I am going to finish:
9. Disconnect the coil, oil pressure/water temperature sending unit wires.
10. Disconnect the alternator wire from the alternator, starter cable from the starter, throttle cable, and kickdown rod.
11. Remove A/C Compressor from mounting bracket, unsure if the lines are still pressurized or not; will find out.
12. Remove brake vacuum hose and heater hoses from engine.
13. Depressurize fuel system and disconnect 2 push connect fittings on engine fuel rail.

All of this information is being paraphrased from my Haynes manual. I highly recommend going out and picking one up before you start this swap. Especially for the wiring diagrams they include.

Last edited:

adamshadow2008

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Automatic
Atomic Blast Drag Event

There is a big 3 day drag racing "event" going on in Gulfport this weekend. It includes a swap meet, so I will hopefully find some good parts when I am out there. Also going to start checking the junk yards around here for a suitable rearend.

I have a potential buyer for the 2.3l so I need to get that out asap.

recutright

Ford Technician
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
600 bucks for that thing is a pretty good deal! any progress on this? im interested in the AOD ur putting in there. and what headers ur using.

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have a good running 351w roller block if you ever are looking for one

adamshadow2008

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Automatic
i have a good running 351w roller block if you ever are looking for one
sorry for the slow response and no updates. Have been on vacation for the last couple of weeks. Now back to work and swamped trying to catch up.

Thanks for the offer. Regretfully, it would cost me more to get that block shipped down here than it would probably be worth. May hit you up if I get serious with this woman up in nyc. Will have to move her house hold goods down here. Could put the engine in next to the China :)

Yeah overall the truck is good for the price. Already made a little over a hundred back from parts and scrap sale.

Update and pictures coming this weekend.

p.s. 2.3l and tranny are gone. Truck is cleaned up a bit. Buying a 302 with c4 transmission that was in a 1954 ford (obviously not what came in it originally). I do not know too much about it yet. I do know it has a huge cam in it

adamshadow2008

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Automatic
600 bucks for that thing is a pretty good deal! any progress on this? im interested in the AOD ur putting in there. and what headers ur using.
Came across a c4 tranny first so I will have to deal withoutoverdrive for a while. Also, for headersthe cconcensus is the Mustang tri y are the best for this swap.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals