• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1:10 Ford bodies

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Stuck inside for the most part because of the cold and darkness of winter thinking about getting a SCX10 scaler. Dreaming more than thinking actually.

The Superduty, newer F-150 and Raptor just don't feel right for a crawler. The 79 F-150 (a bodystyle I have never been fond of to start with) IMO didn't come out especially great. The personallity of the '67 doesn't really fit either.

Pretty much I am stuck with the Chevy C/K series truck or Jeep Commanche, is there any older sporty Ford stuff out there that looks decent? I have seen a bullnose cab on youtube but I never found a place that sells them. Any kind of a stock Ranger body would be neat too...

I would love to sink a Honcho bed in the truck box so it would get a rollbar with a spare tire mount but if I could just find a nice cab a truggy wouldn't be bad either.

Jsommers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have an scx10 with a clodbuster body on it. (chevy k10 hard body)
Theres no good ford bodies out right now for a crawler in my opinion.
If your lucky and search on ebay. an old for courrier body will come up for sale

Id say the f250 hardbody from a highlift is the way to go if you want to stay ford. I love my hard body. It scratches up and is cooler than the lexan. Look on rccrawler.com theres a bunch of build threads for ideas.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am thinking Lexan, I don't really want all the paint getting ripped off and leaving it white or yellow.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Walmart kids ttoys.

I bought an scx10 and am dissapointed. I've went through both the esc and radio. In less than 2 weeks. Maybe I got a bad unit. If pocket change is an issue try tower hobbies. Got mine on payments

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They have pretty good reviews just about everywhere. The first thing I am going to do is waterproof the thing. Not that I really intend to run it in water much but I think it would be a good thing to do before rather than after.

I have too much going on right now to actually pull the trigger on one, I can wait. I have lived 29.5 years without one, a little longer ain't gonna hurt me.

EDIT: I did find this:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDA56&P=7

Too bad it isn't a styleside but it would make for a good truggy. :D

Last edited:

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah they do have good reviews. Funny that you mention water proofing. I've done lots of it with balloons and rtv gasket maker. It wasn't until I put the esc and radio in balloons that I had problems. I didn't drive it in any thing wet either. Idk if it just got to hot in the balloons?

After a few days my steering would work and id get beeps from the esc but it wouldnt drive. Then a few days later it started wiggin out like steering itself and driving forwards and backwards with no input like it was having a seizure.

Also plan to replace the plastic links on the rear,and the steering bar. Everytime I tried to drive up say a set of stairs or similar and the tires grabbed hard the links bend and the tire just pulls towards the front. And the steering link would do this when turning hard into any obstacle. Then you get 2 tires pointing into each other.

I used ALOT of parts from my exceed 1/10th Crawler. Although the parts are like somewhere near 1/10th of an inch longer. I put my 4 link on the rear and it extended the wheelbase a very short amount. Put my steering on it too. Used a wierd nuts/bolt thing to get it close to stock. The 4 link on the exceed front won'tbolt up tho . Its slightly different on the bottom hole.

Idk why its so hard to find ford boddies. You should open shop :p

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have seen some other waterproofing methods that don't use the balloon and lets the ESC and such breathe (cool) better. Maybe that makes a difference?

I wish they still made a Honcho kit, then I could get the long wheelbase links without paying the rights for the Heep body I don't want. The Honcho bed more than makes up for the $20 steering links as it stands now.

I suspect like everything else Ford related we don't have the demand (real or percieved) to get much support.

Last edited:

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah it sucks they quit making the honcho. Far as water proofing goes I've seen peopleuse plastidip or alot of clear coat.

Seems like the expensive electronics are sensitive to water. I've had a few real cheap ones unjust couldn't kill

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Has any one ever spotted a ford ranger b2 or explorer body? Even if it was hard plastic from a Walmart toy

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals