• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

International 466 diesel loses it's prime

blue83ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My uncle has been having a problem with his international tandem truck. If it sits a few days it loses it's prime. and yesterday it wouldn't get it's prime back. I didn't see any leaks anywhere. any thoughts on what we should do?

Muddycowboy

GOT MUD?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
your leaking air some were. does it run ok, start ok with prime

blue83ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
well, my uncle changed the fuel filters and one was completely cloged up. It looked/smelled like the redish/brown primer. I'm not real sure what it is. I guess time will tell if that 100% fixes the problem.

stock95ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
could be the lift pump taking a crap.

Muddycowboy

GOT MUD?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
my guess is that there is algee growth in the tank. do you fill up the tank regularly? do you fill it from the pump/station; or from a can or tank at home.

algee growth can come from contaminated tanks/cans. or from the truck sitting alot with fuel in it. you can purchase an additive to kill any organic growth in your tank. if you fill from your own tank supply i would suggest treating it and always keep additive in it. also use a fuel system cleaner in the truck if and thing gets to the injection pump or injector it can cuase major problems.

blue83ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
He very rarley uses the truck and he does have 3 tanks at his house but he mainly just uses the one. i'll let him know and thanks for the tip. I had no idea stuff could grow in there.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would drain the tank if you suspect a bunch of algea. It's still there, even if it's dead.

Just to put it out there: the algea lives in the water and eats the fuel. The water and fuel have similar specific gravities so there can be pockets of water floating around in the tank that might not drain like they would in gasoline. A little algea will be caught in the filter. A lot will clog up filter after filter. If it ever gets past the filter you're screwed.

If it is an air leak that's a toughie. It can run really well, then you turn it off and a leak that doesn't leak under pressure can leak under vacuum--siphoning all of the fuel out of the system and putting it back in the tank. My truck was doing that for a full year. I could not find a leak. But if it sat for over an hour, it would be a bitch to start. I replaced fuel lines all down the system and put a gauge on it down the line as well and couldn't find it--though I could watch it bleed down. Finally, on the advice of my neighbor who was a former National Guard Motor-T guy--I replaced the filter casting and the problem was solved. There was no pressure leak in it but somehow the casting itself was leaking under suction after the pressure was off of it.

Diesel are really bad motors to run only a few times a year. Better to have a gas pig in a grain truck. This former Guardsman bet me several years ago when I bought my 6.2 that the injection pump would fail before that Christmas. I won. He was used to Guard vehicles that sit all year so he was replacing pumps everytime he showed up for his drill weekend. In the marines, we used our trucks constantly and never had problems.

Black'03LevelII

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Manual
was reading this at work (can't log in to post though?) and wanted to chime in my two pennies worth.

if your dads truck has one of the plastic bubble style filters (looks like a display dome or something) held on by a black ring and has a black cap at the top. double check the rubber gaskets for the ring and cap. also double check the "dome" as we have A LOT of these that crack all the time at work, especially in the cold. either way it will cause the symptoms you described.

I am a deisel mechanic by trade so if you could take a couple of pics of the filters and how they mount, I might be able to help ya more with this problem if ya haven't figured it out already.

blue83ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
the truck doesn't have the bubble style filters. It has all metal ones. after he changed them from the clogged ones, with something that looked like paint, it started and ran good. he thought he had it fixed but now the problem is back and the filters are clean. we cracked 4 of the injector lines and turned it over and nothing comes out, we held the pedal to the floor and a very little bit came out. we also blew air from the pump line (not through the pump) to the tank and i could tell the line in the tank was in fuel and i couldn't here any air leaks in the tank or up to the pump. We tried to prime it with the primer button and it wouldn't so we took the primer itself off and it definately works. Right now my uncle is curious if anyone knows if this engine would have an electric pump somewhere or is there just the injection pump that sucks the diesel from the tank?

Muddycowboy

GOT MUD?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
there should be some type of transfer pump between the injection pump and the tank, an inline transfer pump most likely but it can also be inside the injection pump. you could try buying an electric inline tranfer pump and installing it between the filter and the tank. 50 to 75 psi should be about right remember to put a inline filter before the tranfer pump one of thoses cheapo inline ones ones about the size of a kiwi lol to protect the electric pump that should fix the problem of prime cause it will run any time the key is in the on position.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals