• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

just another rat rod ranger

payload

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Took in my 85 ranger on a trade and immediately decided it needed some love, after a little thought I decided I wanted to go with the rat rod theme (real original I know) anyways here she is!
(keep in mind that I am trying to spend as little as possible but still make it look decent.
things to come are
red wheels chrome center caps
white walls
two tone gloss black on bottom and matte black on top with red pin stripe down the middle
bucket seats
new dash pad
and who knows what else

after lowering the front

little rust

replaced the valve cover gasket painted it while it was off

Insides a little rough but Ill get it there looking at some bucket seats and a new dash pad from LMC

patching the rust BONDO!!!!!

grill and front bumper coming off gonna get new, well nicer used ones lol

took the rear bumper off Im thinking roll pan and the tail gate was to far gon got rid of that

begin the sanding

flip kit installed

moar bondo work

bumper off and core support painted

snading again

front fender was jacked gotta get a new one

more to come.

90longbed

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
think I am in my rat rod ranger somewhere around $1300 including the $1100 I paid for the truck...junkyards , craigslist and trading items you dont need for parts you do helps keep costs down too.... traded a buddy of mine that works at a parts store a harbor frieght cailper tool set I no longer needed for some mirrors ....

payload

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Well i think Im about 700 in with the trade and what I've spent on supplies so far, BTW I traded a s-10 with no motor or trans for my ranger lol. Guy wanted the s-10 i guess. I will do a total at the end of my build and put it up. Im pretty lucky to have most of the tools I need and a good spot to work on it.

txrangr1988

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
Lookin good man. You keeping that engine in it?

payload

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Lookin good man. You keeping that engine in it?
I may pull it out and clean it up put new seals in it and all that good stuff, but I dont have time or much money to throw at it right now. I wouldnt mind swapping to a newer v6 with an auto I just had knee surgery and clutching in base traffigc sucks ass!.

payload

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Any one know where I can get or have any ideas how i can make my own roll pan for the rear I checked LMC but boy are they proud they want almost 300 for theirs, also looking for white wall tires and some chrome center caps the smooth ones with no design any help would be appreciated.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Any one know where I can get or have any ideas how i can make my own roll pan for the rear I checked LMC but boy are they proud they want almost 300 for theirs.
LMC is a good one-stop-shop for hard to find parts. Sometimes you can find where they buy it. Rollpans should be fairly easy to turn up.

I halfheartedly fought with one for a little while at u pull it. It was pop riveted in and I didn't want to destroy it, my drill was an hour away. Just keep looking and one will pop up somewhere.

payload

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
LMC is a good one-stop-shop for hard to find parts. Sometimes you can find where they buy it. Rollpans should be fairly easy to turn up.

I halfheartedly fought with one for a little while at u pull it. It was pop riveted in and I didn't want to destroy it, my drill was an hour away. Just keep looking and one will pop up somewhere.
found one for 100.

payload

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
sorry havent been posting much ive done a little work on the ranger nothing much though what with the baby and all, and the damn exhaust on my mustang was attacked by a speed bump FML. anyways im picking up a 302 this week so thats where this project is going lol. gonna be asking a bunch of questions so be prepared.

payload

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Been a while, I have been in and out of the hospital trying to get rid of an infection I had in my mouth after a surgery. I got the body work all done got some primer down, wheels painted, and a new bench seat that I am going to re do. ended up selling the 5.0 I was going to put in I think I want to build a turbo motor for it and keep a 4 banger in it. here are a few pics

3hokies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Round Headlights?

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yes please. I want rounds in my 88 so bad, got way more important things first.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

payload

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
nah they are still square i may put rounds in in the future but im so ready to drive this thing im not adding to the list right yet.

payload

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
also do you guys know where I hook up after market water temp, oil psi, and volt gauges ive never done them. Im doing those and a new fuel gauge so i can put a tach in the spot they are in now.

payload

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
went to town with some rattle cans today didnt come out to bad for a rattle can job ill take it. here are some pics dont mind the dust in the air and yes i know the windsheild is not taped off i have to replace it.

still need to do the red pinstripe down the body line put the new chrome front bumper on all the trim and lights and the list goes on and on.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals