• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Brake problem

tbrewer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
99 Ranger 2.5L 2WD.

I'm having an odd problem that I cannot find the answer to anywhere. If it has already been discussed and I have overlooked it, then I apologize.

Only occassionally, I will begin to get a slight wobble in the steering wheel that will gradually get worse and the brake pedal will get incredibly stiff. Also, my acceleration drops drastically. I pull off the road and turn the truck off. I can usually smell an electrical smell. Not that anything is burning, just like a sensor has gotten hotter than normal. As soon as I start the engine again, the problem will go away and I won't have the problem again for a few days.

Also, the guy I bought the truck from apparently took some of the bulbs out of the dash (Check Engine, etc.) and I haven't had a chance to replace them. So I don't know if any warning lights are supposed to be on. I have had it put on the computer and the only code I was throwing was P0171 Bank 1 System Too Lean.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

PanamaExpat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like a caliper sticking. Check to see which wheel is hot when it does it and you will know which one needs attention. That smell is probably hot brake pads.

tbrewer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'll check the calipers and brakes. But it doesn't smell like brakes to me. I could be wrong though.

Thanks.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals