• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What's wrong with this drop bracket?

Broke Joe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
96ranger.JPGThis is a 1996 Ranger purchased by my brother and left with me to be repaired. This is just one of the problems I have encountered. Is the driver side axle drop bracket supposed to be bent forward? Is the axle beam twisted or bent?

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
did you replace the bushing? it looks new.

if not, the bushing is toast or the beam is bent.

it looks to me like you're supporting the vehicle up front. if that pass side suspension is just hanging there, you can usually move the axle around

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
If this is with the axle drooping the bushing will move like that

PanamaExpat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Manual
And just for the sake of stupid... god knows I qualify for that often enough. Verify that the bolt going through the bushing is the right diameter for the hole. Don't know what hillbilly worked on it before it got to you.

But as sasquatch said with no load on the axle they do fit kind of loose in the bracket. I thought about adding some washers to mine when I did it to tighten it up but once the chassis was back on the ground all went back to normal.

Broke Joe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The bolt is the correct size, the bushing is new and I jacked the truck up off of the front supports and then put a jackstand under the beam. This has the coil compressed as it would be with the wheels and tires on. You may be able to see in the picture a weld on the beam where it was cracked. This truck was beat up on, so maybe the beam is twisted or the drop bracket has been bent forward or maybe the coils are too tall. I have already taken out the two inch rubber spacer under the coils that were in it. If the coils were too long, I should have the same problem on the other drop bracket, but I don't. Thank you guys for the responses but maybe I need to find someone with a similar truck and take some measurements to see if something is bent or twisted.

locked ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94/95
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
does it have stock springs or lift springs? more pics of every thing would help, maybe the radius arm bracket needs lowering if its been lifted. did you get a pic of the driver side beam before you took it out?

Last edited:

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
yeah, the radius arm needs dropped in the rear..
is what it looks like for me.

Broke Joe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It has lift springs in it that's 6 inches taller than stock. The radius arm drop brackets are 4 inches lower than stock. I didn't get a picture of the other side before I took it out but the lower half of the bushing wasn't wore down like this side was. I will upload more pictures soon. Thanks for the help.

Broke Joe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Here are more pictures. The yellow arrow in the first picture measures 10 inches. Maybe someone can tell me if that's what it's supposed to measure.

Attachments

aspevacek

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
where is that bracket welded. It looks like the cast piece that was with my Skyjacker class 2. I have my JD stuff on my truck and my skyjacker one in the basement. Take a straight edge along the backside of that bracket to see how much if any it is tweaked. Hard to tell in the pic.

Looking at the 3rd pic it appears 4.0 is right on his thought there. That would totally explain that. Short arms with decent amounts of lift will put suspension in weird measurements. How was the caster on the truck? That would be a 100% sure fire way to see what is going.

Last edited:

locked ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94/95
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The axle is still drooped some from where the jack stand is in the middle of the beam, not as much leverage as if the tire was on the ground, so that is causing some of the twist. also how tight is the pivot bolt, its should to be torqued between 120 to 150 ft lbs

Last edited:

Broke Joe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The bracket hasn't been welded but the beam had a small crack that I welded back together. I have no idea how the caster was, I drove it less than a 1/2 mile before I started working on it.

Broke Joe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I took "locked rangers" advice and moved the jackstand farther out, but it still looks wrong. So I took the coil loose at the top and jacked up the beam until the beam looked right in the drop bracket. Take a look at how much higher the coil spring is above the coil bucket in the last picture.

Attachments

PanamaExpat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Manual
That's not just a factory pivot bracket that someone crammed extended springs on is it? Something don't look right there. I am beginning to wonder if it was set up correctly from the get go. Please get us a good picture of the pivot bracket.

locked ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94/95
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
is that brackets with 4" and 6" lift holes? if so i believe you have the pivot bolt in the 4" holes. Man, if you was closer id just ride over and give you a hand. lol some guys with lifts use the different holes to fine tune how the beams sit.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals