• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Governor replacement

honhon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hello all, in the middle of trying to fix my "wont shift until warm" issue with my ranger.

88 XLT 2.9L 4x4 with the electric tcase and the A4LD

tonight i decided, what the hell... im gonna drop the tcase.

got the trans supported right now by the mount underneath with a jack stand.

trans support is off obviously, i pulled the tcase out and off.

and then i pulled the governor off...

it seemed alittle dirty and/or scored so i believe i will be replacing it...

but heres my 2 questions while im in the middle of this....

#1 there was a gasket in-between the extension housing and the tcase... its obviously the original and it tore when i pulled the case out...

anyone know a part # for this gasket?

also to go along with question one.... there is fluid draining from the extension housing... i saw a picture on another forum and the guy's tranny was also doing this, so i was feeling it is normal... but i just read another post that this area should be dry and have no fluid... which means the rear output shaft seal is bad? can any elaborate on that?

#2 if you look at this thread

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155582

(i hope i can post another forum here... it hosts the picture im talking about)

post #3 by brooklynbay.... he posted a picture closeup of the governor broken down...

is the piston in the middle supposed to move at all? or just stay planted in the housing...?

also does anyone have part numbers for these parts?

if the piston doesnt have to move, then i think ive gotten it pretty cleaned and smooth working, but if i can get the part number's then i will deffinately replace it...

thank you all for the help!

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
#1. On mine there was a gasket between the extension housing and the transfer case. (It's a dummy case on mine, as our BII is 2wd)

I couldn't find it locally, so I purchased a roll of gasket paper and custom cut ours to fit.

In regards to the seal? I can't remember. (shame that--I've had it apart 3 times and can't remember) Sorry....

S-

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The part number for the gasket is black RTV.

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
The Governor
The governor is a clever valve that tells the transmission how fast the car is going. It is connected to the output, so the faster the car moves, the faster the governor spins. Inside the governor is a spring-loaded valve that opens in proportion to how fast the governor is spinning -- the faster the governor spins, the more the valve opens. Fluid from the pump is fed to the governor through the output shaft.

The faster the car goes, the more the governor valve opens and the higher the pressure of the fluid it lets through.
Shift valves supply hydraulic pressure to the clutches and bands to engage each gear. The valve body of the transmission contains several shift valves. The shift valve determines when to shift from one gear to the next. For instance, the 1 to 2 shift valve determines when to shift from first to second gear. The shift valve is pressurized with fluid from the governor on one side, and the throttle valve on the other. They are supplied with fluid by the pump, and they route that fluid to one of two circuits to control which gear the car runs in.

The shift valve will delay a shift if the car is accelerating quickly. If the car accelerates gently, the shift will occur at a lower speed. Let's discuss what happens when the car accelerates gently.

As car speed increases, the pressure from the governor builds. This forces the shift valve over until the first gear circuit is closed, and the second gear circuit opens. Since the car is accelerating at light throttle, the throttle valve does not apply much pressure against the shift valve.

When the car accelerates quickly, the throttle valve applies more pressure against the shift valve. This means that the pressure from the governor has to be higher (and therefore the vehicle speed has to be faster) before the shift valve moves over far enough to engage second gear.

Each shift valve responds to a particular pressure range; so when the car is going faster, the 2-to-3 shift valve will take over, because the pressure from the governor is high enough to trigger that valve.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/automatic-transmission13.htm

You asked about the valve just 'sitting' there? And I was a bit confused. The Governor works by the centrifugal force as it's spinning around as the car/truck is moving. The faster it spins? The more 'force' outward is on the valve--and that moves that valve and does it's bit of magic with the pressure. So the valve is on a spring..so it may not seem to move--But it does once it spins fast enough to overcome the spring pressure.

In general what can happen? Build up of 'varnish' and crud....and/or small burrs can build up on the valve. You'll know if this is the case when you remove it. If you can rub your thumb one way and it's smooth---and the other way it seems to 'catch' with a sharp edge? That's not right.

I know some people clean it up and out...remove burrs with emery cloth/paper (very fine sand paper basically). But I'm paranoid a bit. I'd just as well replace it with a new one. No muss...No Fuss....

Not sure if you wanted that much info LOL. But ya never know who is reading this---and others may have questions about it.

S-

honhon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
thankyou for all the information...

i dont believe my governor was completely tight, so maybe thats why i have fluid in the housing.

i found the gasket on ebay... just search ford 1350 (for the transfer case) ill probably use some rtv with it just to make a nice seal on the housing.

so i have the gasket and the new governor on their way...

i let the old governor sit in gasoline over night and it turned the fuel into a grayish gold color.... with obvious particles floating around...

also what i meant by it just sitting there... i meant the piston inside of the governor body, i am guessing its supposed to move.... but mine was stuck

but anyways... i guess the only real question now is do i have a bad seal at the back of the tranmission causing fluid in the extension housing or is there supposed to be fluid in the housing?

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Not sure about the seal....(Wish I could remember ours....) But if that valve was stuck? Yeah...that can cause a lot of problems. And it makes sense that it would start working once it was heated up at temp--as the heat would expand the metal enough for it to work. It has some extremely tight spacing as it is to prevent fluid from seeping out. But it has to be 100% free moving to do it's job. The spring holds it until the rotational force pushes it outward against the spring....Any drag and it won't know when to shift normally.

S-

honhon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
i would say maybe even a qt or more is have came out of the extension housing, so im starting to think that there is a seal bad...

does that "shelf" the governor is mounted to just slide out? the big cog looking thing? and would it have to go back in the exact same position?

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
I`m pretty sure the extension housing is supposed to be full of oil as the output shaft bearing/bushing needs lube also as long as it wasnt leaking out the rear seal it`s just fine. You can probably get the gaskets at any local tranny shop.
56305 for tranny to ext housing
315304 ext housing to transfer

pcollins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
GMC
Engine Size
4.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Automatic transmission means its gonna be a wet extension housing. Its supposed to have tranny fluid back there. As for the gaskets RTV will work fine.

honhon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
i found the gasket i needed on ebay and its on its way... i was just debating about the fluid in the housing now while i wait for my new governor and gasket...

so if its a wet housing would it just drain back into the pan area if i were to drop the pan?

thank you all, i am taking your advice about it being a wet housing, i just want to be completely 110% sure so i dont have to drop the tcase and everything again

even though it'll probably happen next year because i am not at all impressed on the things ive seen on this truck regarding the transmission being rebuilt prior to me getting the truck

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
I'm pretty sure the 1354 has a drain and fill on it. Either way , I would pour out the old Mercon and re-fill. It was glued to the output with that stuff they use on bike engines and trannies. I used Forma- Gasket.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals