• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1999 Ford Ranger 2.5L engin swap not starting

cavinessh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1999 Ford ranger 2.5L 2x4 manual transmission with 213,000 miles. I just swapped the engine out with a 2000 2.5L with 53,000 miles on it. the truck has been sitting 3 years prior to the engine swap. I used the wire harness that came with the newer engine and everything hooked up right. when trying to start the engine i have a spark and the fuel pump is working, i can hear it humming when i turn the key on. I can get the truck to start on starting fluid but when i stop spraying it quits. i have checked the psi on the fuel injector rail and have 40psi. i have unplugged the injector wire and tried to get an indication that it is working when the engine is turning over but can not get the test light to register on the plug.

anything is helpful at this point just kinda stumped over this issue

thanks

Crunch2690

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
It could be as simple as clogged injectors, if you still have the old engine you could try swapping the injectors from that to see if it works. And the best way to check if injector is getting power is with a noid light, which can be picked up pretty cheap at most parts/tool stores.

cavinessh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I had to trade my old engine in when I got this one. The new engine was running before I made the swap though. I have rechecked all my vacume lines and wiring and grounds. Only thing I can figure is the wiring may differ between year models

cavinessh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Update: I got the noid test light and it's not lighting up when you try to crank

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Check for power to the injectors. If that is good check ground as the engine cranks. The PCM grounds the injectors.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Check for power to the injectors. If that is good check ground as the engine cranks. The PCM grounds the injectors.
What controls the injectors? Is it the cam sensor?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Probably a combination of cam and crank on that year.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Most fuel injection systems run 12vDC to each injector all the time(when key is on), the engine computer(PCM/EEC) then Grounds each injector to open it and allow fuel to pass, so the control is the Ground not the 12v side.

So check for 12v at the injectors, if there is no power then check fuses or wiring.
If there is 12v then check PCM for good Grounds.

The PCM has a few ground wires that are circuit specific, so even if one Ground near the PCM is good it doesn't ground all circuits in the PCM.

This is a link to electrical diagrams for ranger engines:
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/EDiagrams/index.htm

Last edited:

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Most fuel injection systems run 12vDC to each injector all the time(when key is on), the engine computer(PCM/EEC) then Grounds each injector to open it and allow fuel to pass, so the control is the Ground not the 12v side.

So check for 12v at the injectors, if there is no power then check fuses or wiring.
If there is 12v then check PCM for good Grounds.

The PCM has a few ground wires that are circuit specific, so even if one Ground near the PCM is good it doesn't ground all circuits in the PCM.

This is a link to electrical diagrams for ranger engines:
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/EDiagrams/index.htm

Last question from me. If the cam and/or crank sensor failed would the injectors still ground and open? I guess my question is could the OP have a bad crank and or cam sensor?

cavinessh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Turns out it was a bad crank sensor. It most likely got damaged while the engine was being put in. Other than that the truck runs great. Thanks for all they help.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Turns out it was a bad crank sensor. It most likely got damaged while the engine was being put in. Other than that the truck runs great. Thanks for all they help.
Glad you figured it out. Thanks for posting the fix!

SFDROIDBUT2

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Good work :icon_thumby:

I always thought bad CPS would disable spark and fuel, not just fuel, good to know.

cavinessh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
No I had spark cause I could get it to run on starting fluid. It caused the injector not to pulse when trying to start. So it would be just fuel that it hinders when it is broken/not plugged in.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals