• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I need help fast!

Corey_yocom7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l turbo
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1987 long wheel base 4x4 ford ranger fame and I put a 91 cab on the frame and I need to know where to shorten the frame and how much to put the short bed off the 91 on the 87 frame. Pics and info will be greatly accepted!

PanamaExpat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS.... Ever hear of a device called a tape measure? A guy can work wonders with one if he knows how to use it.

Corey_yocom7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l turbo
Transmission
Manual
Ever heard of you don't have to be a dick?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
He may be sarcastic, but it's the first thought in my head too. You are going to end up using a tape measure regardless of any info put up by members. Or you would if you are smart.... as the saying goes; "you get what you pay for" and this is a free service. :D
Also we would need more info, reg cab or extended?

Richard

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Here a link to the Wheelbase Chart in the Tech Library. You should be able to figure out how much to remove yourself with some simple math.

As far as where... Someplace between the front and rear wheels. :icon_rofl:

a31ford

Electronics GURU
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
SNO... you crack me up ^^ !

Hey Cory... Naming your post the same as the forum, ain't gona get a lot of help from many of us, ALSO.... calling us "dicks" that is a real winner of "be my friend" if I ever heard one....(NOT)

How about this....

Look in the top right corner of the blue banner that says "ranger station" see the little "google custom search", type what you are looking for.... Google will find all related posts in this forum that have words of what you typed in that white line....

It's called a search engine, now why don't you "help yourself", and then when you need extra help, come back here, start a new topic, and ask your question in a civil manner, and do NOT call people "dicks", we will simply NOT answer you if you do.... GOT IT ??

a31ford

Electronics GURU
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
One other thing... I hope you know the process of "localized stress relief" when it comes to modifying a frame, AND, you know how to weld....

PS. do NOT, I repeat, do NOT weld hangers to the outside, inside, or top, or bottom of a frame rail, drill holes and use grade 12 bolts (washers & nuts) but NO lock washers, tourque the crap out of them and then weld the nuts to the bolt on the thread side (sticking out, or plug weld the inside of the nut, 3/4's of the nut must have thread in them). do NOT drill the top or bottom of the rail, ONLY the sidewall.

Greg.

snoranger

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
SNO... you crack me up ^^ !
As funny as I am, it's the best answer we can give. We don't know what frame he is working with. The 2 longer wheel base frames are different. There is no universal answer. The tech library has all the wheel bases listed. That's all you Need to know to figure out how much to cut out.
As to where: if its long bed, you cut where the bed was and shorten that area. If it was supercab, you cut under the cab area.

Personally if I was cutting up another frame it would be to build a long bed supercab or Mexican 4 door cab.

a31ford

Electronics GURU
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
SNO, from ghost... "Ditto" I think a long bed super (XLT) or even a long bed 4x4x4 would be an awesome truck !

AND... for my "bestest, bestest Friend Corey.... Here (see below), some info from an old shop manual about frames.

Last edited:

a31ford

Electronics GURU
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
BTW, Corey.. read the info in my Avatar.... I just might have more information about frames, than I'm telling you....

Edit:
Guess all MY work was for nothing... he comes here , asks for help, calls people "Dicks" and in the end I give him some "REAL" information about working with frames, BUT, he's no where to be found.

Oh Well, hope others here can use all that information that took me HOURS of MY time to get for him... for free even.

I hate people like him.

Last edited:

PanamaExpat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Manual
WOW... I for some reason never checked back on this thread. I just love it when you state the obvious and someone calls you a dick for doing so. Anyhow a31ford I found all that frame info useful and copied it into a folder in my build file. I know the day I try to remember where it was I would certainly forget it. I hate getting old.

Mcleary316

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
he comes here , asks for help, calls people "Dicks" and in the end I give him some "REAL" information about working with frames, BUT, he's no where to be found.

Oh Well, hope others here can use all that information that took me HOURS of MY time to get for him... for free even.

I hate people like him.
Unfortunately hes like most people... "HELP HELP!!" Then never show up again.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
OK, turn to be a dick.

This is one of those times when I say, if you have to ask how, you should not try.

Also, if I understand this correctly, you don't need to mod the frame at all. A long wheel base Ranger is a super cab short bed.

If you already have the cab on you either have a huge gap and a few missing cab bolts, or you don't have any changes to make.

Last edited:

a31ford

Electronics GURU
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Panama,

If you forget where it's at, don't worry, I work on heavy trucks and earth moving equipment (as well as a 200 ton rock crusher).

If you ever need the the info again (or anything else I can help with) feel free to ask.

ADSM, (As usual...) you are right again, after re-reading his original post, it was a long frame version in the first place.

Oh, and Mcleary316, welcome to the group, these guys know tons and tons, and tons about Rangers (they have helped me sooooooooo much ) , myself, I'm new to Rangers, but old to everything else....

Greg

snoranger

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
OK, turn to be a dick.

This is one of those times when I say, if you have to ask how, you should not try.

Also, if I understand this correctly, you don't need to mod the frame at all. A long wheel base Ranger is a super cab short bed.

If you already have the cab on you either have a huge gap and a few missing cab bolts, or you don't have any changes to make.
It could have been a reg cab/ long bed.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals