• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

alternator charges sometimes

skoal777

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
When I start my 97 ranger it changes sometimes but you never know when it will. Sometimes when I start the truck it will have the battery light on and will not charge but sometimes will start chargeing as I go down the road but sometimes it will not charge for a day or two. Other times it will charge normally and everything is fine. This only happens when I start the truck so I'm not sure y this is happening. The alternator is new and so is the battery. I also cleaned the battery termanels and the wires going to them. This all started happening after I changedthe clutch and starter. Any ideas would be very helpfull. Thank you!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Got a volt meter?

Hook it up to the battery, start the engine, and then by hand pull the throttle wide open for 3 seconds and let it go. See it is starts charging on it's own.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
It could be a grounding issue with the alternator it never hurts to add a ground wire 10-12g from the alternator chassis to the neg battery terminal. Many people do it as an upgrade when adding a high amp alternator. Sand all the grounds you can find metal to metal and cleann all the connectors with electrical cleaner and use dielectric grease when putting them back together. Somtimes wires and cables will corrode under the insulator where it looks good. Bend all the wires and cables looking for a weak spot and replace it if necessary. Intermittent faults can be a bitch make sure the belt is good and tight and if you dont know how old it is just change them as PM. The tech library will tell you how to do a proper load/noload test and you can troubleshoot from there. Make sure the battery is fully charged, belt and wires are up to snuff then do the load no load tests. All you need is a VOM print out the procedures. One bad component can destroy the other two (battery,alternator,voltage regulator) fairly quick make sure it is working correct it can get expensive. The computer and ignition need a steady voltage for peak performance.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Are you sure its really not charging or could it be a fault in the wiring to the light or gauge?

skoal777

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yes I'm sure that it isn't chargeing cause the lights are all dim and the blower for the heater is not going as fast as it usually does. I don't have to use a volt meter cause your alternator should be warm if it is charging but when the lights are dim and the battery light is on the alternator is cold as it is outside right now its 33 degrees out

naford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I would agree thats it's probably a ground. When I ws in class we had a Crown Vic that had a similar problem. When the car was running we felt the wires comming off the battery. The smaller of the 2 was hot the bigger one was cold. When loking around we found that a ground from the firewall to the motor was broken. After that was fixed the problem was cured. What I suspect happened is that when you were working on th truck you disturbed one of the grounds. It might look good but the strands of wire are broken near the ends. Another thing you could try is to take a piece of wire with just the ends stripped away and go from ground to ground just touching across the ground adn see if you notice a change. Obviously the truck has to be running and the problem present.

CarsonChris

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990/87
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0/2.9
Transmission
Manual
My 99F-350 goes through an alternator every couple of years. It does the same thing. Starts working intermittently. It's on a duel battery system. I've been told to replace both batteries at the same time. One usually draws the other one down and causes the alternator to overwork.

PanamaExpat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Manual
The alternator on my diesel ride is a Bosch and it started doing the same thing when the brushes were getting to that point. Now it doesn't charge at all. Since I am a lazy old fart I just charge it up before I drive it and it is good for a couple of days. Good thing mechanical pump driven diesels don't need electricity to run. Just don't stay out after dark.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Hey PE \. Regarding the Bosch alternator. If it is like the alts in my BMWs, lt has a regulator / brush pack that is on by 2 screws and can be removed in place. The regulator is widely available, New brushes, can be soldered in. are hardware store items. Happy New Year :D

scooter

October OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I worked in a starter/alt shop for a couple months in '02. Try pouring water in it while its running. Sometimes the brushes get stuck or glazed. I usually shoot a lil WD40 in after that tho.

Works more often than you would believe.

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Any time my battery light comes on or has flickered, it was because the grey 1-wire connector had a broken clip, or bad connection.

A rolled up piece of cardboard wedged between the connector and the body of the alternator is a good free fix.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
check/clean the alternator fuse & the copper contacts that it plugs into (with your wife's fingernail emory-board....sometimes the contacts get glazed over & cause intermittent charging

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals