• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

striping chrome from 1st gen exploder grille?

85broncduece

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
171ci v6
Transmission
Manual
Ok my grille is peeling in spots so I wanna strip it and rino line it. Tried easy off tried bleach, neither work for the real chrome plating. What are my other options. I have the grille off and I dont want to put it back together when it looks like a monkey f*&#ing a foot ball. P,lease help its really ugly lol.

a31ford

Electronics GURU
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Chrome on anything is a hard one, the chrome is actually a steel plating on plastic, or a sub-base metal (zinc for example). the only thing that will do anything is simply put, one of two things, remove the chrome via reverse electro-plate (taking the chrome into the brine solution), or if you don't have an electro=plate bath, hand striping it with a single sided blade, and a lot of BST (Blood, Sweat, Tears)......

There simply is NO easy solution.

Actually, See Earl's solution, that would do it nicely (BTW, TY for the link Earl....)

Greg

Last edited:

85broncduece

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
171ci v6
Transmission
Manual
sanding it is

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I just sanded all my "chrome" parts and spray painted them...didn't really care if I got all the chrome off or even if it was noticed (uneven)...I just wanted to hide all the chrome and it worked for me...some parts are still holding up even after two years of driving in all kinds of weather...

On a 1st gen Ranger the parts can be easily removed and repainted as needed...and I didn't expect them to last too long...road grit is pretty good at chipping away at the finish so you may want to spend a bit more time or put more coats on than you'd planned...

92NHranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
You could always use sulfuric acid as it wont eat plastic.. Some drain cleaner has some if you dont know where to buy it.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
The acid that people put in swimming pools will definately remove the chrome overnight by submerging the grill in it in a plastic tub. with a big warning sign....

Muriatic liquid acid....but you must be very careful and use rubber gloves /old long sleeve shirt/ safety goggles or face shield....and put the tub where NO ONE can accidently get near it

matter of fact---stick with sanding if your not use to handling liquid acid just to be safe

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Be very careful and put it in a ventilated area if you use any acid. Back when I worked at a pool store a lady spilled a bottle of muriatic acid in her car. We helped neutralize it but by the time she got to the store (she bought it somewhere else) she had been exposed long enough. Found out weeks later when she came to thank us she had to spend some time in the hospital because just breathing it left severe burns in her throat and lungs. If you decide to use it be extremely careful.

IslandFord

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Send a picture of the monkey and the football! I'm not picturing it correctly.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals