• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Throttle Cable

Ryannn

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Original Poster: CASPER

Difficulty: 2 out of 10

Time to install: 5-10 Minutes

Disclaimer: The Ranger Station.com, The Ranger Station.com Staff, nor the original poster are responsible for you doing this modification to your vehicle. By doing this modification and following this how-to you, the installer, take full responsibility if anything is damaged or messed up. If you have questions, feel free to PM the original poster or ask in the appropriate section of The Ranger Station.com forums.

Brief Explanation: Over time, the throttle cable stretches and the housing seats more into its ferruls, thus, adding play to the gas pedal. You never feel this because it happens so slowly and the gas pedal drops down more so theres no "free" period (where you push on the pedal and nothing happens) while youre pressing on the gas. This is an easy fix, and its free. All you need is a few zip-ties and 10 minutes.

Background: I found this on Another site and I thought to my self my Gas Pedal has play in it before it does anything.. So I went ahead and Did it.

Tools Needed:
- Needle nose pliers

Parts Needed:
- Zip Ties (The Quantity needed depends on how lose your throttle cable is and how big your zip ties are)

PROS: Incredible throttle response.

CONS: None. Plus, its totally reversible. You can take off the zip tie whenever you want.

Step 1
-Locate your throttle cable above your gas pedal.

Step 2
-Pull the Gas pedal out to expose play in the throttle cable.

Step 3
-Fit a zip tie around the exposing throttle Cable, and add as many zip ties as it takes till there is no play in your gas pedal or until its how you want it.

Step 4
-Snip the excess Tie off with the needle nose pliers and take it for a drive.

End Result

Thed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I did this, except I used like five zip ties.

Must be cause I have the manual transmission

Ryannn

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have a Manual and 2 was plenty for me.. also depends on how big they are though.

Thed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Mine didn't have that little spring on it though, so that must be part of the reason why I needed four or five...

Ryannn

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
You also have a differnt year... They could change small things on them.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals