• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Danger Ranger's SAS & NP435 Transplant

1992DangerRanger

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Hey everyone and thanks for having a look at my build thread I'm a newb to the ranger station but have owned my 92 4.0 OHV 5 speed Ranger for quite some time now. :headbang:

As of late (the past year or two) this little jewel has been sitting around in my backyard collecting dust and bird crap:icon_thumby:. I have recently decided that I wanted to get back into wheeling, I bought a few acres of land out in the boonies and there are multiple off road parks within a stones throw. Anyways enough with the small talk I have had these Dana 44s off what I was told was a late 70's model f150 laying around in my garage for along time, I picked them up for $75.00 a pop.

I originally was thinking about doing a leaf sprung sas but after a little research I have come to the conclusion that it would be in my best interest to go with radius arms and coils. The dana 44 that I purchased has front radius arm mounts that are apart of the axle itself which would make it difficult for me to do leaf springs anyways at least that is what I have come to understand after allot of reading. I have never attempted a SAS on my own lucky for me my roommate is a mechanic and is going to help me the whole way through. Any suggestions or input from forum members would be greatly appreciated. I was considering purchasing some progressive rate coil springs and Stage 3 Tubular Long Travel Radius Arms made by James Duff http://www.jamesduff.com/eb/suspension_components.html . But if I could use the stock arms and purchase some bolt on radius arm mounts and save some cash I would defiantly consider doing that. Another question I have is will the stock tubs on my ranger line up with the coil perches on my dana 44 or will I need to purchase a aftermarket part such as http://www.jamesduff.com/broncoII/dualshock.html... Im kinda at a stand still I have the money to order the parts but I want to make sure I purchase the right stuff so Im not just scratching my head with a bunch of parts that don't work for my application. So any suggestions as far as parts to buy or a point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

1992DangerRanger

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
My Np435 to 4.0 OHV Adapter Shipped out today from Rulebreaker a big thanks to him along with my clutch and bearing so hopefully I will have it by the end of this week. I have sourced out a Np435\205 at a local salvage yard for $300.00 along with some 63 inch cheby springs for my rear axle. Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hopefully I will have time to pick them up this weekend. More pics to come.

1992DangerRanger

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Ive been so busy I have not had much time to update my thread. Anyways I received my adapter plate, clutch and pilot bearing from Rulebreaker the other day as you can see below.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Again a big thanks to him for putting it together for me everything looks great :icon_hornsup:. A friend of mine who runs a local salvage yard has a ford Np435 with a 205 case on it waiting on me if I could ever get some time off work to go pick it up. My 3 inch body lift from bronco graveyard showed up today along with my JD extended radius arms.

Now I am trying to decide between Sway Away 2.0 16in air shocks (http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/Sway-A-Way-2.0-Air-Shocks-p-16808.html) or running the James Duff 6in coils (http://www.jamesduff.com/eb/suspension_components.html). I am leaning towards the air shocks. Ill have more pictures of the truck itself so please bare with me.:icon_cheers:

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
nice, im going with the 435 myself. ,ake sure to keep a parts list lol

1992DangerRanger

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
nice, im going with the 435 myself. ,ake sure to keep a parts list lol
Will do the kit I purchased came with instructions and a list of all the hardware I will need for the swap. It seems pretty straight forward I cant wait to get started on it. The 435 behind the 4.0 is going to be the cats meow so to speak lol :headbang:.

Kyle M.

GOING FOR BROKE
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I like my air shocks, but coils are good too and way eaisier. Air shocks cost more, between shock hoops and extra fab work, plus you have to have a way to fill them and dick around with tuning them. That being said, I love mine.

If you do go that route, be sure to make some good bump stops and get some limit straps, 3 of them, one for the center (shorter) and 2 for the out sides. Good luck!

1992DangerRanger

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I like my air shocks, but coils are good too and way eaisier. Air shocks cost more, between shock hoops and extra fab work, plus you have to have a way to fill them and dick around with tuning them. That being said, I love mine.

If you do go that route, be sure to make some good bump stops and get some limit straps, 3 of them, one for the center (shorter) and 2 for the out sides. Good luck!
Well what air shocks would you suggest I was thinking about the sway away 2.0s 16 inch or the Fox 16 inch. If I go the air shock route (which is what I am leaning towards) I will most likely purchase a nitrogen tank regulators etc so I can tune the shocks how I want them. What shock hoops did you use and what size air shocks as well? I looked at your build thread but there are too many pages to search through to find what I'm looking for lol. Thanks for the advice thus far :icon_hornsup:

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
damn, been looking for a 435 here and havent found anything yet.

1992DangerRanger

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
damn, been looking for a 435 here and havent found anything yet.
A lot of salvage yards around Louisville have them, they want about 400 for most of them though. Here is a question maybe some you can help me with, Is the bell housing from the 300 I6 motors the same as the small block bell housing?

Viva*the*Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I can't answer your question about the 300 I6, but you have a great looking bunch of parts there! It's a good reminder that I should have just sas'd my Ranger, instead of doing what I've done. Killer deal on the NP setup too! I'm jealous!!!!!! Keep us posted bud!

Rangerman4158

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
nice looking truck to build with can't wait to see the end result

1992DangerRanger

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I can't answer your question about the 300 I6, but you have a great looking bunch of parts there! It's a good reminder that I should have just sas'd my Ranger, instead of doing what I've done. Killer deal on the NP setup too! I'm jealous!!!!!! Keep us posted bud!
Its never too late to sas your ranger, sell your parts and start over lol. I was very happy with the deal I got on the Transmission and Case and cant wait to get this build started. I will be sure and keep the thread updated as much as possible!

:beer:

1992DangerRanger

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
nice looking truck to build with can't wait to see the end result
Yeah shes not a bad looking old school ranger, she does one mean one wheel peel the 4.0 gets it done I cant wait to see what it can do off road!

1992DangerRanger

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Im still on the fence about which air shocks I should purchase, I am leaning towards the sway away 2.0 16" but the Fox 16" are a little cheaper. Does anyone have any Input suggestions or actual experience with the particular products listed that they would care to share with me.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals