• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Advice for a noob?

ranger_steve

Reaction score
From PEI, living in Grande Prairie Alberta
Vehicle Year
1993, 2007
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
hey guys,
im buying a ranger this summer and im looking into lift kits and all that jazz. The ranger i'm looking at is a '99 4x4 xlt. I'm trying to figure out the cheapest and most hands on way for me to do a lift big enough for 35's. Any prices would be greatly apreciated! I have access to loads of welding and fab tools in our automotive shop at school and im a half decent welder, in grade 11. :icon_welder:
thanks in advance,
steve

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
If you wanna lift a ranger cheap, and your in high school look for a 97' or older truck. TTB suspension is MUCH cheaper and easier to lift then newer SLA suspension, and easier to solid axle or build a long travel setup for down the road.

ranger_steve

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993, 2007
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
thanks for the tip, and thats basically what i've read so far on multiple ranger/off road forums is that the 98+ year rangers are more expensive to lift because of the different front suspension. i'll just have to wait for the right deal i guess.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i knew a bunch of guys that did that back when i was in high school. i was a retard and took gym. (i liked seeing the ladies in short shorts too much i guess)

i'd do what wahlstrom said and go with a TTB year. the cheapest way to fit 35's on a 99 would be a 3" bodylift, shackles and a t-bar crank. they'd probably be crammed too. lifts for an IFS truck are around $1500 and that's not paying someone to put it on.

you can get a TTB lift for $500 (for a cheapo) and you'd be able to do it yourself. OR, you can find a used on here for even cheaper.

ranger_steve

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993, 2007
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
alrighty, ive found this one:
http://novascotia.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1989-Ford-Ranger-XLT-4x4-5-speed-good-tell-june-2012-1000-obo-W0QQAdIdZ262579229

looks to be a good project for cheap, anyone know what a u-joint, yoke, and hub would cost?

thanks again for any input,
steve
first off, give him a quick lesson in the english language.....'TIL not TELL......SINCE not sence

then offer him $700 for it. those parts used would be $75-$125 depending on where you found them

ranger_steve

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993, 2007
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
haha yea! everyone on kijiji seems to suck at spelling :icon_twisted:
thanks for the information
oh and my grandfather used to be a ford mechanic, so he should be able to help me with most stuff. He also has a ranger... but its only 2wd :bawling:

PORTnPOLISH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Good luck finding your future ranger project.
Ive owned all of the big 3 trucks and even though I am having issues with my ranger right now I do like the truck a lot more then I liked my other 2. 203k miles and runs very strong.

ranger_steve

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993, 2007
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
once i buy the ranger, would it be better to replace both locking hubs, and all the u-joints at the same time while i have it appart? just to avoid replacing one then have the others wear out soon after. :icon_confused:

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
once i buy the ranger, would it be better to replace both locking hubs, and all the u-joints at the same time while i have it appart? just to avoid replacing one then have the others wear out soon after. :icon_confused:
that's what i did. i'm currently getting a dana 35 ready to throw under my b2, i replaced most of the seals, bearings and u-joints

ranger_steve

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993, 2007
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
sounds good, it makes sense. might as well do it while you've got everything apart. I think it will probably be around october before I get enough dough to do a lift with 35's. For now i'll have to figure out a way to get buy the ranger and get it home, currently its 4 and a half hours away and i dont know if i could trust it to get me home being as the gas and temp gauges are not currently in working order.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
good luck! hope he goes for it

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
sounds good, it makes sense. might as well do it while you've got everything apart. I think it will probably be around october before I get enough dough to do a lift with 35's. For now i'll have to figure out a way to get buy the ranger and get it home, currently its 4 and a half hours away and i dont know if i could trust it to get me home being as the gas and temp gauges are not currently in working order.
Your Dana28 front axle wont last a day with 35s.
If you are looking to run 35s, you will also want to look into a d35 front/8.8" Rear swap, from an explorer is preferred.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals