• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4wd slipping, watter in diff.

Woods-Rider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
When in 4wd the front drivetrain slips about every minute or so and its very noticeable. at speed it feels like a jolt as it disengages and about one or two seconds later it is working again. this has been going on for a few weeks now. tonight i took off the drivers side CV joint and axle component thinking it was maybe slipping in there and saw that the oil from the front diff was contaminated with water. so now i believe that is causing the slippage. My question is what, if anything, could the water have damaged? any ideas on what is happening to cause the slip? should just changing the oil make it go away?

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
i dont see how it could be your diff slipping. maybe if you had broken some teeth off of the ring gear but then you would notice it everytime the wheels go around. sounds like the problem might be in your transfer case.

Woods-Rider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
so where should i start looking for the problem. is there some common problematic part in the electric T-cases i should check out?

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The front MUST slip -- hopefully over the driving surface (NOT pavement if you like your 4WD) -- in order to release driveline windup. If it feels like a sudden jerk, you are driving on a high traction surface and don't need -- and shouldn't use -- 4WD.

This is 4WD. Not AWD. If you want AWD, buy a Subaru.

Woods-Rider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
no, it was happening in the snow with and without chains on the front and in light mud. maybe slip is the wrong word. there is a big jerk and the front just looses power for a sec or two then comes back. i can tell its the front because of where the sound is coming from and when it happens the rear starts to slide sideways in really slick snow conditions. also, it seems like the front regains power quicker if i let off the gas for a second then ease back into it.

Last edited:

Woods-Rider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
checked the T-case fluid and it was fine. from there i went to the front diff to assess the water issue. the vent hose had some how mannaged to come off the diff so i think thats where the water got in and where some of the fluid got out (it was pretty low) letting it completely drain right now then ill refill it, drive just a bit then flush it with new fluid again. the only thing i dont get though is how the front would lose power then get it back. since everything in there is either splines or keyways if the front were to lose power wouldnt it mean something broke in which case you would not be able to regain power for a full minute or so would you?

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Kinda sounds like the transfer case chain is slipping.

Woods-Rider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Kinda sounds like the transfer case chain is slipping.
how would i check for that? the fluid level is fine, just checked it.

i'm thinking that the water in the diff did a number on some of the bearings and somehow that is causing the problem.

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
As was stated before, diff's don't slip. If there were missing teeth on the diff, you'd have noise in 2wd as well. You could try and pull the drain plug out of the t-case and have a look at the chain. Can also take out the front output speed sensor. The chain shouldn't be very sloppy.

Still can't tell ??? Pull the rear driveshaft off and go for a drive in 4HI.

BTW, there can be nothing BUT water in the front diff and that still won't cause your problem.

Last edited:

c_note

September 2009 OTOM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger/Explorer
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Manual
check the ring gear bolts or the carrier bolts!

Woods-Rider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
if the problem persists ill check the chain tuesday.

check the ring gear bolts or the carrier bolts!
That is possible. i did just have some 4.88's put in front and rear. I went to a very respected diff guy in my area though to try and avoid something like this. i believe he has a pretty good warranty though.

thanks for the help guys.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Here's the rub -- there is NO PART of your 4WD system that can slip and then come back again. If the chain slips once, it will slip forever. If the differential slips once, it will probably be accompanied by a loud BANG, followed by never working again. With a 2004, you have a live axle, so there is no hub to ratchet.

It simply has to be your tires slipping.

Woods-Rider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
if its not your tires, and your diff is fine, then its in your transfer case. go pull it and find some carnage.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Here's the rub -- there is NO PART of your 4WD system that can slip and then come back again. If the chain slips once, it will slip forever. If the differential slips once, it will probably be accompanied by a loud BANG, followed by never working again. With a 2004, you have a live axle, so there is no hub to ratchet.

It simply has to be your tires slipping.
I had a 1350 electric T-case that would slip in low-range and make a loud pop when doing so, it wasn't continuous, it would just happen randomly. I then put a manual 1350 in and no more popping/slipping, that old t-case also had a lot of slop in it that would cause some nice jerking when getting on/off the throttle.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals