• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Eldelbrock Torker

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I found a Torker intake manifold for my 289 project. The only thing I can really find on the internet to compare it to is a Torker II, which is a single plane unit that probably doesn't have much business in a lifted 4x4 truck. Anyone been around a regular "Torker"? His discription is "very old ... and good from idle to 5500 rpm", which fits Eldebrock's discription the Performer, which is what I would prefer. Any thoughts on whether or not would be worth messing with?

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/manifolds/manifolds_main.shtml

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Totalled

Law Enforcement
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
8 rabid gophers
Transmission
Automatic
Umm.. they are a tall single plane intake... comparable to a victor... more like a 2200-6500 intake.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It is a friggin cool looking intake, if I had a 2wd I would have done it. I never found an instance of it being in a truck, so I turned him down.:not_i:

MichiganSpecialRPS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1992 & 1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302cid/5.0L & 2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I have the Weiand version and I like it A LOT. How well the intake works will depend on your camshaft and heads... I can answer any of you question from experiance. I won't just tell you "oh it's a single plane and you'll lose low end; they are only good for rancing." BTW, my truck is a daily driver.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
i've seen that style in both torker 289 and torker 302 versions.i tried unsuccessfully to get a torker 289 from a buddy for my 66 289 in my stang.when i asked edelbrock about the old school torker they found an old guy who had been there a long time and he told me it compared to the torker 2 in rpm's but is an inferior intake.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
That old twisted carb torker was a pretty good mid range intake back in the day. Didn't have the bottom end that a dual plane would have, and didn't have the top end most other single planes did. Used to be a popular intake though. In a 4x4, I'd go with a high rise dual plane, it does what the Torker didn't do, on bottom and top.

MichiganSpecialRPS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1992 & 1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302cid/5.0L & 2.3L
Transmission
Manual
The Torker II for 302's SUCKS! The Weiand X-celerator/Torker 289 is a good street performance intake OMHO. On the same engine, same carb, heades, cam, everything, I went from a Weiand 8011 dual-plane to an X-celerator. For an off road application, the 8011 is hands down better, but if you want something that is a good cruiser and will supply enough air up to about 6500, the Torker 289/X-celerator gets my vote. I did lose some torque below 1500rpm switching from the 8011 to the X-celerator, but not enough to concern me; I'd rather have an intake that'll allow my engine to breath up to 6 grand.

The Torker 289/X-celerator is not a tall intake and it is not comparable to a Victor!!

Furthermore, I 110% disagree with the old Edelbrock guy who said the Torker II is superior to the Torker 289... If you get rid of the casting flash and do some radius work from the plenum, it can be a great intake for a 100% street performer with a smaller displacment motor!

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The big reason I liked it aside from looks is he only wanted $50 for it and it would be better than the stock 2bbl intake I have for it right now. I was hoping from the name that it would be better than most single planes at lower revs, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Then it sunk in that I don't even have a 4bbl carb yet, and my 289 is scattered among three outbuildings at my parents house, so there are probably better things to sink $$ in at this time, like an engine and carb to bolt it between.

From what little I could find on the net about it, those that switched from the Torker to the Torker II switched back. I wouldn't put alot of faith in opinions about a current product versus an obsolete product coming from the manufacturer. They would rather sell you a new one, I haven't used either, that is just what I found when I was researching it.

MichiganSpecialRPS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1992 & 1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302cid/5.0L & 2.3L
Transmission
Manual
From what little I could find on the net about it, those that switched from the Torker to the Torker II switched back.
It's going to be hard to find many comparisons because it is an older design and most people stick to what is mainstream...

I'm tell you my first hand experiance of the intake between two different cams.

Just look at the design of the Torker II; It's pretty funky. The runner design is screwed up.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
The big reason I liked it aside from looks is he only wanted $50 for it and it would be better than the stock 2bbl intake I have for it right now. I was hoping from the name that it would be better than most single planes at lower revs, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Then it sunk in that I don't even have a 4bbl carb yet, and my 289 is scattered among three outbuildings at my parents house, so there are probably better things to sink $$ in at this time, like an engine and carb to bolt it between.

From what little I could find on the net about it, those that switched from the Torker to the Torker II switched back. I wouldn't put alot of faith in opinions about a current product versus an obsolete product coming from the manufacturer. They would rather sell you a new one, I haven't used either, that is just what I found when I was researching it.
Edelbrock in effect did the same thing when they designed the RPM intakes. The Old F4B it replaced, was and still is it's equal. The only difference between the two is the RPM has equal length runners where the F4B's are unequal.

supermonkey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Edelbrock in effect did the same thing when they designed the RPM intakes. The Old F4B it replaced, was and still is it's equal. The only difference between the two is the RPM has equal length runners where the F4B's are unequal.
I ran a torker 2 on my 302 but it was doggy on the bottom.My airgap ran like hell bottom to top.As for the F4B,we ran one on my buddy's falcon and turned 8.40s.I was expecting 8 flats when we installed my airgap and we got-you guessed it-8.40s.:(

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals