• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help with Frame

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
How would I safely weld my frame back together?

The mid section back is no good, so I wanted to salvage one from another ranger and weld it on, what should I do to make it safe and wont get much attention when getting inspected.

My budget is ultra low, as usual, so myself, my buddy Jason, and possibly adsm08 will be doing all the work.

(P.s. I have an electric MIG welder, a very very small stick welder and a grinder; but i can possibly take something into school to machine it)

ChrisR1S

10/2013 STOTM Winner
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Mild 5.0
Transmission
Manual
If you were going to "salvage" a portion from another ranger, why not just swap frames? much easier..not to mention safer..

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
also much more expensive too, I have a possibility of getting a frame section for free, a frame will cost me around $300 to $400, or the one with a solid body, mostly completed, solid framed one at the dealership for $250, but I dont have any money at all right at this one moment.

Saving up to send a flower to my girl at college right now =p

(bad news is mom doesnt want me getting a job now, because she changed her opinion to saying I need to focus on school, she went as far as to say I should drop my girl to focus more, that was low)

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant

there is my idea

The ranger is going to become a farm truck/gopher all the time, and not going to be my first truck, sadly enough, so I am going to be tripping it up, making it stronger, run better, and make it more durable, I can get a lof of scrap metal for free, so =p I am gonna be grabbing some of my neighbors galvinized duct he has laying around, and use the sheet metal to fix the rusted out spots, this summer. The front bumper is gonna be replaced most likely, the headlights are gonna get home-made covers to protect them from getting smashed (again), same with the back lights. And the suspension in back is going to be rednecked safely for more wieght.

The engine is going to be honed/sleeved (when I can) to get it to perform better, and I will aslo need rings, might just grab pistons from the junkyard if I find a solid engine.

Last edited:

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
(bad news is mom doesnt want me getting a job now, because she changed her opinion to saying I need to focus on school, she went as far as to say I should drop my girl to focus more, that was low)
sounds like your mom is a smart lady.

from what i've seen 'focus' seems to be an ongoing concern.

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
nah, my focus is this: School, Home, Chores, GF, Sleep, Ranger

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Sorry to thread jack but how is business on the farm, you guys aint losing anything still are you?

yyc_tbird_sc

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
First, if you're afraid of people seeing the fix on the frame then I have to question your welding abilities. I mean no offense by this, but it will be seen unless you grind everything down to bare metal and repaint the entire frame to hide it.

There are a few articles around on the net describing how to patch frames together. There is a lot of different views about how to do it properly. I personally would look into fish plating the frame. Fish plate is like what you have planned, but without any straight vertical endges.

1/2" plate is overkill as your frame is only about 1/8" thick as it is.

As for the galvanized metal...I wouldn't use it for body work. Also, be sure to grind off ALL the galvanizing before you weld it.

schmoo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
83 2.8 ranger
Make / Model
84 2.3 4x4 rang
Transmission
Manual
sounds like thousands of dollars in labor for tens of dollars
worth of truck. if you put an ad in the paper, you can
get a better start for 2-300$- less if you don't need a title.

Iron Ranger

Run lil' ricer RUN!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
0.040 punched 302
Transmission
Manual
Here's how I would do it.

Instead of a straight on 90 degree surface for the 2 mating frames, cut each at a 45 degree angle, bevel and weld both sides, and weld in a plate on the inside.

That way, you can grind the outer weld almost flat, yet maintain the strength needed for a truck frame.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s

99_3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.GO!
Transmission
Automatic
3/16ths would be plenty to patch the frame back. Half inch would be good but by the time you'd get the weld to wet into the half inch, the frame would have melted away. I like Iron Rangers way of doing it the most. If it were me, i'd bolt the furthest left and furthest right two holes with half inch grade 8 bolts.

Iron Ranger

Run lil' ricer RUN!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
0.040 punched 302
Transmission
Manual
....... If it were me, i'd bolt the furthest left and furthest right two holes with half inch grade 8 bolts.

The bolt heads would show if someone were to inspect it. Plus, a good weld in those 8 spots would hold just a well, if not better, than the bolts.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
When welding chassis together, ALWAYS cut/weld on an angle, and as stated earlier, 1/2" is way to overkill for your 1/8" chassis. I wouldn't bother using bolts either, they will show and I think it would look fishy when going for inspection, just weld/grind/paint if it were me

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Here's how I would do it.

Instead of a straight on 90 degree surface for the 2 mating frames, cut each at a 45 degree angle, bevel and weld both sides, and weld in a plate on the inside.

That way, you can grind the outer weld almost flat, yet maintain the strength needed for a truck frame.

^^^ I agree but I did some reading about this awhile ago and one thing that was mentioned more than once by different authors was to NOT weld the fishplate on the vertical but to use a diamond shape, and no sharp corners... make sure to have a radius on the corner IE round it off. I wish I knew how to draw on the computer but the best I can do is... the fishplate should have an arrow shape on the left and right end. I also agree with no bolts.

Richard

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals