Pulling 2000 4L SOHC, How to get to the top Bellhousing Bolts?


Featured Build Threads

BillRod

15+ Year Member

Joined
Dec 27, 2008
Messages
223
Points
3,101
City
Colorado Springs CO
Transmission
Manual
2000 Explorer SOHC Auto Trans, I have most everything unbolted including the 2 bottom bellhousing bolts.

What I can't see how to get to are the top bellhousing bolts.
I can't see them from the top or the bottom.

I have not removed the intake plenum or anything and was hoping that I could wait until I had the engine on the stand but...

Any help on getting these last bolts out would be great!

Thanks!
Bill
 
Last edited:
If you are removing the engine I would pull the intake and get them from the top. If you were just removing the trans I would get the back of the trans as low as possible and use a really long extension.
 
When I did the clutch on my 94, I had to use a couple really long 1/2" extensions, maybe even 3, plus a universal on the end to get at them.

Tip: if the universal is flopping around, and making it difficult to get the socket on the bolts, wrap some electrical tape around it, and that will help.

And yeah, probably need to lower the back end of the tranny for more room.
 
If you take the intake off you can stand on a stool next to the front tire and lean across the engine and reach the top bolts from above.

Otherwise jack the front of up, lay under the vehicle and use lots of extensions.
 

Upcoming TRS Events

Sponsored Ad

Featured Ranger Based Vehicle

TRS Latest Video

Official TRS Merchandise

Follow TRS On Instagram

Back
Top