- Joined
- Sep 29, 2026
- Messages
- 1
- Points
- 1
- City
- Carbon
- State - Country
- TX - USA
- Vehicle Year
- 1992
- Vehicle
- Ford Ranger
- Drive
- 2WD
- Engine
- 2.3L
- Transmission
- Manual
So, everything runs really smoothly on this transmission. No grinding or noises while driving, and it all shifts excellent. Its just that 5th gear started randomly slipping out from time to time while under load for an extended period of time. And than it got worse and worse.
So I pulled the thing and opened it all up and everything appears to be in really nice condition. (When I bought the truck about two years ago they had replaced the transmission and it had a few thousand miles on it.) All the gears and synchros seem to be in perfect condition and from what I could tell everything is doing fine. Shifter forks looks good. All the shifter rails snap into gear with a good firm hold.
The only thing I found that I wasn't sure about is the countershaft had just a little play in and out. And also the main shaft had a little wobble where the input shaft meets it at the front. That bearing could move just a bit, but it didn't seem terrible.
Does anyone have any ideas on what might be the issue here.
Thanks
So I pulled the thing and opened it all up and everything appears to be in really nice condition. (When I bought the truck about two years ago they had replaced the transmission and it had a few thousand miles on it.) All the gears and synchros seem to be in perfect condition and from what I could tell everything is doing fine. Shifter forks looks good. All the shifter rails snap into gear with a good firm hold.
The only thing I found that I wasn't sure about is the countershaft had just a little play in and out. And also the main shaft had a little wobble where the input shaft meets it at the front. That bearing could move just a bit, but it didn't seem terrible.
Does anyone have any ideas on what might be the issue here.
Thanks

