Friend's 2002 Ranger with 3.0L engine


Featured Build Threads

EverybodysMech

Forum Member

Joined
Apr 21, 2026
Messages
11
Points
101
City
Silver Spring
State - Country
MD - USA
Vehicle Year
2002
Vehicle
Ford Ranger
Drive
2WD
Engine
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I have been trying to find the right way forwards with a friend's '02 Ranger. At first I wanted to help by chasing down his 'misfire cylinder #6' issue, and quickly realized it is NOT something I can deal with directly. I'm good with simple/driveway stuff, but there are so many issues that could be contributing to this code, I need to turn it over to pros. I am still looking for a mechanic we can trust in the MD area part of the country.

In the meantime, I just thought to ask my friend 2 additional questions about his Ranger : miles on engine? (300,000). Has timing gear been replaced? "I don't think so".

Are we approaching a point where an engine swap might be more practical? I think he needs to stick with this truck - it's all kitted out for his work.

And if an engine swap is going to be on the cards, is there a supplier of reconditioned engines that can be trusted to build a quality unit? In the past - different vehicles within the family - I have found that there is often 'no clear winner' with reco engines. You kinda take a shot at this and hope for the best.
 
if he can afford some down time the 3.0 is very easy to rebuild.
you can get a used engine out of a Taurus, get work done first then swap.
 

Upcoming TRS Events

Sponsored Ad

Featured Ranger Based Vehicle

TRS Latest Video

Official TRS Merchandise

Follow TRS On Instagram

Back
Top