engine heating up way too fast after thermostat housing replacement


Featured Build Threads

Joined
Aug 17, 2026
Messages
2
Points
1
City
!Q1w2e3r4t5y6!
State - Country
TX - USA
Vehicle Year
2001
Vehicle
Ford Ranger
Drive
2WD
Engine
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
Hi, Been away from here for a long while! I have a suspicious engine temp problem. Looking for advice. The therostate housing was apparently cracked and just replaced by Midas along with a new thermostat. (yes, didn't do it myself) For 21 years, on first start of the day it takes about 4 minutes maybe for the engine temp to reach normal operating temp (about mid-dial). But now after repair, it's going the mid-dial in about 20 seconds. Way to fast to be believable. But it's staying there. It's not overheating. I have some supicions - (1) could the electrical connectors for the two temp sensors have been swapped maybe, and the gague is getting from the wrong sensor? or (2) could the thermostat have been put in backwards? or (3) could the rotation of the thermostat be wrong? or (4) could it be air in the system, or (5) just bad thermostat and it's not opening? Or something else that could account for this? Unfortunately I just left it overnight for them to look at it again, so I can't experiment with it just yet. But I'm not optimistic they'll believe there's anything wrong with it, so I got to plan on doing it.
 
Doubtful on connectors crossed... the temp sender is a single wire... ECT is a two wire.

Best to hook up a scan tool and monitor ECT to confirm what's on the gauge.
 
Did they "fix" or change anything else? Do you have a heater bypass valve? Flow of coolant will change how the engine heats up and how the sensors see it. A pocket of stagnant water at the sensors will take longer to heat up. Water moving through the engine and past the sensors may show heating effects quicker. A stuck open thermostat would send coolant through the radiator all the time, thus slowing down the heating process, but making the sensors report more accurately due to the flow. Allowing flow through the heater core would cool coolant and allow slower engine warmup. But bypassing the heater does the opposite. A thermostat with a vent hole and "jiggle pin" allows a tiny bit of radiator flow and changes the dynamics a little bit. Of course, air pockets are also an issue. There are a lot of dynamics in play.

20 seconds to operating temp sounds abnormally fast.
 
Does it do get up to temp by just turning on the key without even starting the engine?
- If so you may have an electrical issue either with the sensor or wiring
 
I've heard of air being trapped in the system around the temperature sensor causing issues like that in other vehicles. It is possible that the air in the system was not purged properly.
 
Dude came right back and thanked y'all for your useful insights, and followed up with the actual issue/resolution, so we could all learn... :rolleyes::mad:
 
I didn't know all these replies were here till just now's email notice. The thermostat housing was cracked. Turns out the two temp sensors come preinstalled on the OEM replacement (the trusted Motorcraft brand). So it's a new temp sensor. I'm guessing that the sensor range for this sensor is different than the original. I'm thinking of getting a new sensor to see what happens. They didn't save the broken housing with the original temp sensors in it like I ask. All indications are that the water pump and thermostat is doing what it should. After many minutes from overnight cold start, the top water hose starts flowing and going hot. But the panel dial long before went to normal operating temp. But it holds at normal operating temp thereafter like things are fine. But that makes the dial untrustworthy now. It's more like a panel light now.

By the way, on the two temp sensors, they're both right next to each other on the thermostat housing right there on the front of the engine, and both are 2-wire on my Ranger (2001 4-cyc 2.5L). It must be the pre-2000 models that have a 1-wire sensor for the panel.) The two sensors have different color connector sockets - one for the computer, one just for the panel dial. They both have identical looking connectors except for a keying ridge in a slightly different position molded into the shape of the connector. So you can't swap them by accident like I thought. Just some useful info to know for someone else maybe.

I'll update when I try a new temp sensor and if it gets back to showing a realistic temp. I thought of the air pocket problem but doesn't seem that would cause this problem? It does have a heater bypass valve that I changed a year before. The vacuum relay on it and hose to it were broken. Hum, maybe I'll try turning on the heater on to complete the flow through the system! By the way, another interesting tip on that. If the heater bypass valve relay is broken or the vacuum hose to it is broken, the air recirculate door in the dash won't work anymore! It stays always open to outside air. That vacuum line to the heater bypass relay feeds off the same line as the air recirculate door. (They're independent functions, but that's where the line going to the bypass valve splits off from.) And you'll never know if it's broken! But there is a way to test for it! Run the engine with no-air setting or with max-A/C setting. That pulls the recirculate door closed. Now turn the engine off. In a moment you'll hear the recirculate door relase and move to open as the vacuum goes away. Since that same line goes to the heater bypass valve, it's a good test!
 
Last edited:

Upcoming TRS Events

Sponsored Ad

Featured Ranger Based Vehicle

TRS Latest Video

Official TRS Merchandise

Follow TRS On Instagram

Back
Top