Cold engine leak-down test


Featured Build Threads

codger

5+ Year Member

U.S. Military - Veteran
Joined
Apr 18, 2020
Messages
31
Points
601
City
Group W bench, Columbus, Oh.
Vehicle Year
2002
Engine
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I used to do nothing before 6:30 am, now it takes all day.
2002 4.0L SOHC with ~ 240K miles. 71 year old guy, with a bad back, working outside and pulling my engine to replace timing cassettes, tensioners, etc. As you can imagine, it's taking weeks, but coming along. Once I get it out and on the stand, I want to do a leak-down test. I realize the cylinder walls will be dry and the entire thing will be cold, which will not give the best of readings. The engine ran strong and didn't smoke or use oil. My main concern is checking the valves. All that said, my questions are; should I squirt some oil in through the spark plug holes and rotate the engine a few times to compensate for the cold, dry rings before doing my leak-down test and what would be the best way to keep the engine from turning over when air pressure is applied to a cylinder?
 

Upcoming TRS Events

Sponsored Ad

Featured Ranger Based Vehicle

TRS Latest Video

Official TRS Merchandise

Follow TRS On Instagram

Back
Top