balljoints 2002 4x4


Featured Build Threads

02fx4dude

10+ Year Member

Joined
Jun 29, 2008
Messages
9
Points
3,001
Age
57
City
Wisconsin
Vehicle Year
2002
Transmission
Automatic
Looks like I'll be doing my ball joints when the weather allows, got a few questions.

Truck: 2002 FX4 with about 180k miles.

According to my Ford shop manual, the balljoints can not be replaced, you must replace the entire lower control arm assembly. However, from reading around here it looks like the ball joint can be pressed out and a new ball joint pressed in without removing the lower control arm. Am I understadning that correct?

Also planning to do the upper control arms as long as I'm there. Wondering what brands are recommended, or advised to avoid. Usually I go with OEM but I'm up for suggestions.
 
No, the lower joints can be pressed out and replaced. If it were my vehicle I would do Moog, they have an upper arm that can have the joint pressed out and replaced.
 

Upcoming TRS Events

Sponsored Ad

Featured Ranger Based Vehicle

TRS Latest Video

Official TRS Merchandise

Follow TRS On Instagram

Back
Top