• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1986 Ranger Prerunner in NH

rngrracing96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9 EFI
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
33x10.5x15
Ooook so I have had this truck for about 3 years now. Unfortunately between school and work I haven't had much time to get this truck where I wanted it to be by now. So I am beginning a new build thread as motivation to keep me working on this baby.
Here it is from the start to the present

Few pictures of its condition when it was with the previous owner

Once I got it home after a 4 hour haul from Maine

Last edited:

rngrracing96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9 EFI
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
33x10.5x15
I picked it up for $600 as is. Rear axle had been grenaded... probably from too many burnouts as the tires displayed. And as I soon found out pretty rusty floorboards. And yes that is roofing tar paper... :(

Don't Have pictures but I picked up a 8.8 with 4.10s and installed it. Then upgraded the wheels and tires. Got 4 30x9.5R15 with 75% tread on them and steel wheels off a jeep for $200. Plus new complete drum brake assembly with drums and new pads, rotors and bearings for the front.

Last edited:

rngrracing96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9 EFI
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
33x10.5x15
Next found a steal on craigslist for 2 still in box American racing wheels for $35 a piece. Then order 2 new ones at $70 a piece so 4 brand new kick ass wheels for about $210!!

Found some clear signal lenses front and side on ebay. Love how they look! Not a fan of the headlights though.

IMAG0041_zpsd8fadb60 by Evan Liotta, on Flickr

Picked up lift beams supposed to be 6" but haven't installed yet. Came with drop pitman arm and steering. No clue who makes the beams. The beams look too professional to have been custom built, but who knows lots of talented fabricators out there.

Cleaned up and painted

Last edited:

rngrracing96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9 EFI
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
33x10.5x15
Bought this James Duff prerunner style bumper off a member on here. Wire wheeled and painted it. The chrome grille i picked up somewhere along the way.

And how she sits currently

Last edited:

86MUDRCJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Looks like you have a good start. Gotta love those 1st gen rangers.

dhkonrad

2013 Offroad TOTY
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
2013 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I agree with MUDRCJ, looks like a good start. The beams do look pretty clean to be a homemade sort of deal, but I am surprised that they would use a stock radius arm. :dunno:

86MUDRCJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I noticed that too. It would be that hard to extend the arms

rngrracing96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9 EFI
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
33x10.5x15
Yeah i mean the beams were on craigslist for $300 and i was looking at pricier suspension kits anyways so seemed like a good deal and would give me kinda the prerunner look. I do wish they had extended radius arms too. Hopefully ill find some soon... they get snatched up so fast. My transmission cross member is rotting out so hopefully some skyjacker radius arm kit materializes on here near me.
For now though I am attempting to get rid of the rust in the floor. Also just ordered new body mounts and extended brakelines. So all that first then suspension!!! Also looking for a drivers side seat track from a 1st gen if anyone has one! :)

86MUDRCJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Shoot for 300 I would have bout it and I don't even have a 2wd.lol it definately needs fiberglass at least in the front so those tires don't take revenge on the fenders.

dhkonrad

2013 Offroad TOTY
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
2013 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah i mean the beams were on craigslist for $300 and i was looking at pricier suspension kits anyways so seemed like a good deal and would give me kinda the prerunner look. I do wish they had extended radius arms too. Hopefully ill find some soon... they get snatched up so fast. My transmission cross member is rotting out so hopefully some skyjacker radius arm kit materializes on here near me.
For now though I am attempting to get rid of the rust in the floor. Also just ordered new body mounts and extended brakelines. So all that first then suspension!!! Also looking for a drivers side seat track from a 1st gen if anyone has one! :)
Shoot for 300 I would have bout it and I don't even have a 2wd.lol it definately needs fiberglass at least in the front so those tires don't take revenge on the fenders.
No kidding. For that price and with you not being in a rush, it's perfect. Seems like the radius arms are the easy part to make if you needed to anyway.

86MUDRCJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No kidding. For that price and with you not being in a rush, it's perfect. Seems like the radius arms are the easy part to make if you needed to anyway.
It seems that all these prerunners are poppin up. Makes me wonder about how a 4x4 would turn out lol:icon_welder:

I think radius arms are a great starter project

rngrracing96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9 EFI
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
33x10.5x15
Never mind did some research on here found they dont have EGR and the y-pipe flange is different.

86MUDRCJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Headers for the 2.9 dont make that much more power if that's what you're looking for. If its sound just put a glasspack on it and call it done.

rngrracing96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9 EFI
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
33x10.5x15
well i need a whole new exhaust so I was thinking of doing headers to tip. I want to use flowmaster super 40 and kick it out before the rear axle. But that projects probably for this winter. I have $ now so I figured I might buy headers or something. Any suggestions on the next purchase??

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals