• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

stumped

93rangerstx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I can't get my ranger to run. The problem started on my way to work the other day, the check engine light came on and the truck lost power. It began running rough, spitting and sputtering, and I limped it to work. After work it wouldn't start. Then after hours of unplugging and plugging back sensors it fired up running rough and engine light still on, got it home and it won't start up. Turns over but will not fire. I've hooked up 2 different code scanners and neither one will respond. I just changed plugs and wires about a month ago and everything else seems to be working fine as far as fuel and what not. It was running rich when it was running. I'm lost, I would appreciate any help, thanks.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You are going to have to narrow it down to either fuel or spark.

There is a fuel pressure fitting on the fuel rail, looks similar to a tire stem, with a cap on it. Turn the key to Run (not crank), wait 2 seconds listening to the fuel pump prime. Key to Off, repeat 3 or 4 times and then depress that valve on the fuel rail (use a rag and watch your eyes). Fuel should spray out strongly. Or put a pressure gage on it, a lot of Auto Parts stores will loan you that tool.

For spark, use a spare spark plug and any plug wire. Lay the threads of the test plug on the intake and crank it over. Look for bright blue spark, not weak yellow.

Report results.

There is an inertia switch located where the passenger's toes hit, under the carpet. They have been known to fail and cut off power to the fuel pump. To test that, simply remove its connector and jumper the connector's two pins together and try it. That switch is designed to cut off the fuel pump in an impact / crash.

Fuel Pump relays are a common failure item.

Ignition ICM is a common failure item for spark problems. Coilpack could also be the problem.

93rangerstx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I know i haven't been on here for a long time but i got this problem fixed. In case anyone runs into this problem where you're stumped, i had to replace the ecm. The old one at rust on one edge and i took it apart the circuit board looked burned in a couple spots. Possibly got water in there or something. I put the new one in and the truck runs like a champ now.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals