• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Truck bed liner over spray-on liner

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Here is a pic of my bed liner in my truck. I will have to get a picture of my trailer when I get home. Don't mind the mess in the truck. I actually just cleaned it out the other day to get the shingles in place. Anyone know what the part circled is for? It's only on the driver side and my 96 had it too b/c I originally cut this liner for the 96 and I notched it just for that piece.

Attachments

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I've seen spray in liners in landscaper trucks that were worn through from having gravel and crushed stone in them. I've also seen them sprayed over the bed bolts so you have to dig them out to remove the box, a local guy removes the bolts, sprays the bed, then puts the bolts back in. I've had drop in liners in my Rangers and I use the built in notches to hold partitions in place so items I want to stay near the gate stay put. The corrugated drop in liners are rough on the knees when you're crawling around in the bed, though. Nothing's perfect.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Here is a pic of my bed liner in my truck. I will have to get a picture of my trailer when I get home. Don't mind the mess in the truck. I actually just cleaned it out the other day to get the shingles in place. Anyone know what the part circled is for? It's only on the driver side and my 96 had it too b/c I originally cut this liner for the 96 and I notched it just for that piece.

It’s a legacy from when there was an option for an auxiliary fuel tank. It wasn’t around long from what I gather. The tank was installed where the spare hangs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

91stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It’s a legacy from when there was an option for an auxiliary fuel tank. It wasn’t around long from what I gather. The tank was installed where the spare hangs.

I thought the dual fuel tanks were from the 80's? This is a 1999 so why would they still have a "mold" for a non existent fuel tank? I bet there is a better explanation for this because I don't see that as being a correct answer. The front of the bed doesn't have that notch where the fuel tank is. Anyone else have an answer for this?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I thought the dual fuel tanks were from the 80's? This is a 1999 so why would they still have a "mold" for a non existent fuel tank? I bet there is a better explanation for this because I don't see that as being a correct answer. The front of the bed doesn't have that notch where the fuel tank is. Anyone else have an answer for this?

Ford changed as little as possible on the Ranger over the years and used a lot of already existing, off the shelf components. Both my old ‘98 and my current ‘11 have a hump for the main tank as well as the shortly available, way back when, aux tank. But what do I know? Since there has to be a more logical answer, I’ll leave to others to explain what I’m obviously wrong about.

hank857

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ranger850, no I am not, just read a lot on the subject as it regards loads on stuff, ie dual wheels and small load bearing pads in recent article on blocking rv wheels for parking on soft surfaces etc. Yes thats why the M1 abrams has such large tracks, spreads loads over greater area thus reducing high loads due to narrow tracks. Saw another article on CH47's with skies on the landing gear. Goes from something like 5-600 lbs/inch to less than 5 lbs/inch or something like that on snow due to the skies installed. Used fly a UH-1 land on snow settled onto the belly of the aircraft. another aircraft has skis never even settled into the snow, of course he could not fly as fast as I could due to the new drag factors. Dont need to be a math wizard if ya think about things unless you are trying to prove a specific point of view.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I agree with sgtsandman, it's a left over from dual fuel tank rangers.

91stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Ford changed as little as possible on the Ranger over the years and used a lot of already existing, off the shelf components. Both my old ‘98 and my current ‘11 have a hump for the main tank as well as the shortly available, way back when, aux tank. But what do I know? Since there has to be a more logical answer, I’ll leave to others to explain what I’m obviously wrong about.

I never said you were wrong. I just thinks its an odd design. They did away with the dual tanks like what 30 years ago? They got rid of the 2nd fuel door so why wouldn't they get rid of the 2nd hump? The ranger body style has changed numerous times since the 80's so why keep a design that wastes material for 30 years? that little amount of metal doesn't seem like much but you multiply it by millions of trucks over how many years now? I saw pictures and yes the 2nd fuel tank door is right where that hump is but it has grooves on the top side of the hump that look like they have a purpose other than providing a rigid piece of metal rather than a flat piece of metal.... Not trying to be difficult. Just doesn't seem right.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I agree with Always Floored, and SGTsandman. it is the "appendix" of a Ford Ranger. Useless but still there.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Just doesn't seem right.
It's not right, it's bizarre that it's there at all after '88 when the dual tanks were abandoned. I imagine they left it in case dual tanks ever became an option again? Perhaps they actually reused the pattern for the inner box side? I don't know. Very weird.

I also park my trailers and stuff on something... usually it's pieces of plywood. I think it does have an affect on tire lifespan and it also keeps them from sinking into the mud in my gravel driveway.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I never said you were wrong. I just thinks its an odd design. They did away with the dual tanks like what 30 years ago? They got rid of the 2nd fuel door so why wouldn't they get rid of the 2nd hump? The ranger body style has changed numerous times since the 80's so why keep a design that wastes material for 30 years? that little amount of metal doesn't seem like much but you multiply it by millions of trucks over how many years now? I saw pictures and yes the 2nd fuel tank door is right where that hump is but it has grooves on the top side of the hump that look like they have a purpose other than providing a rigid piece of metal rather than a flat piece of metal.... Not trying to be difficult. Just doesn't seem right.
Why they never redesigned the bed when they did the body is beyond me. Perhaps after they crunched the numbers, they felt the added expense of changing machinery to eliminate the hump was more than just leaving it.

The Ranger has always been kinda the "red headed step-child" in the Ford line, at least in the U.S. As evidenced by the off the shelf parts they tended to use even though they might not be the best match for the design, the minimization of chassis upgrades compared to other models, and the 8 year hiatus of the Ranger from the product line.

Ford has maintained that the Ranger was not a real money maker for them. They might be right on that. I don't have access to their numbers, so I can't say more on that since I only have what they tell us. It certainly doesn't project the same image that a full size truck does, many here could care less about that, myself included. It does the job I need it to do without costing a mortgage payment to finance it. That is good enough for me.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Ford used the same inner bed structure for the F-series from 73-96. If they didn't change the design on their "important" truck, why would they change it on the Ranger?

RangerDanger2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
No Worries
So, a follow up to my original post. I purchased a rugged bed liner and just installed over my very thick but worn out spray-on bed liner and it worked fabulously. No problem with just putting the liner in the bed and securing it with the provided locks.

Concerning the hump in the back of the bed. I have no idea, but my bed has a hump both in the front of the bed where the fuel fill is located as well as the hump in the rear. Although I don't know for certain, I assumed the fill and the tank was located in the rear at some point during the product life cycle and they just left it. Again, is just my assumption.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
So, a follow up to my original post. I purchased a rugged bed liner and just installed over my very thick but worn out spray-on bed liner and it worked fabulously. No problem with just putting the liner in the bed and securing it with the provided locks.

Concerning the hump in the back of the bed. I have no idea, but my bed has a hump both in the front of the bed where the fuel fill is located as well as the hump in the rear. Although I don't know for certain, I assumed the fill and the tank was located in the rear at some point during the product life cycle and they just left it. Again, is just my assumption.

It was for an optional auxiliary tank that was only available for a short while. Ford never redid the bed profile since. Only the exterior sheetmetal changed over time.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals