• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1000 watt RMS system.

Bear_Slayer

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hello, in a few weeks I am going to finish putting together my system. I plan to have it running close to 1000 watts RMS and I was wondering if it would be possible that this would be too much bass for my little truck. I will be using an amp that can run 1000 watts @ 4ohms stable, bridged to one sub. The sub woofer (haven't decided on a brand) will be a 1200 watt RMS/4000 peak sub, hopefully that will be enough of a buffer zone to keep it from going boom.. well.. make that pop, it's supposed to go boom.

I don't have sensitive ears, quite the opposite actually especially in the right from years of shooting. But I do love to hear my music, I know I can turn the bass down but when it's up all the way I don't want to be killing my ears, and my truck.

How will running a 1000 watt system effect both of those? Paying a few hundred dollars for my system, I'm not going to want to pony up some cash to cover the cost of a performance alternator when I kill my old stock one.

The alternative to the 1000 watt system I plan on running is to run the system to one or two subs at 500 watts, instead of bridging the amp to one sub for a 4ohm 1000 watt experience. Would running a 500 watt system put any different of a drain on my vehicle? I can see how running it to two 500 watt subs could be a problem because it would still total 1000 watts, but I can run it to one sub and only have a 500 watt system, with room for improvement when the funds for a high performance alternator come available. Or of course, if I could find a higher amperage alternator that will bolt into my truck (3.0) from another car/truck/van I could potentially go that route and pay less money. I just bought a new battery because the old one wasn't holding a charge anymore, along with various other parts to keep the truck running, so funds are a little tight.

So.. will a 1000 watt system kill my trucks alternator?

Last edited:

baxtej44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
not sure about the alternator situation, but i'm gonna guess that you'd have to replace it to keep up with a TRUE 1000wrms system...

going further on the "TRUE" part of that statement is, that i'm gonna guess since you're only spending a couple hundred ($200-$400) on your system, that you don't truly have 1000w rms... real systems cost money, i mean i bought a pioneer amp and a kenwood sub, amp is rated at 500w rms and sub is 300wrms i believe, and it cost me over 300 bucks. not to mention without the box materials, and the wiring.

i'm gonna say that 1000w isn't for everyone... try to find somebody local that has a true 1000w system and listen to it.

also depends if you have a regular cab or an extended cab... not sure there's even a way you can fit 1000w system in a reg cab... unless you took out the passenger seat i suppose.

Bear_Slayer

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Alright. Since I don't know anyone local with that powerful of a system (people around here just have little 250 watt Xplod systems and they think its the shit) I'll work my way up from the little stuff before I get to the big stuff.

And as for the low quality system components, I was going with a 200 dollar pioneer premier sub. Not sure as to the quality of those, but I've heard good things. The amp however, is a cheapo ($120). Autotek brand. A friend of mine ordered one but decided they didn't want to go with that powerful of a system so I bought it off them same price they paid, just no shipping. I figured I'd just use that since I already have it.

Would I be able to wire the amp to just one sub, without bridging it? This way I can run a 2ohm/500RMS system and only use one subwoofer instead of the two. I gues what I'm asking is, could I leave one output on the amp empty, or run it to a ground or something?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals