• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

01WHTRNGR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thats a very impressive failure! How does the front diff look? Did you explode the case? Is it locked up?
Drives just fine. Splines on the front diff look perfect. Shifts into 4x4, but I haven’t tested it. Wheel was locked up, but fixed now

1984RESTOMOD

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" BODY LIFT
Tire Size
33"
Thank you! 3 coats of por15 (1 being the UV top coat) - still considering undercoating the whole truck with fluid film in the final assembly but weary of the tacky consistency since it doesn't set up or harden. Anybody have experience with fluid film?

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
I put disabled vet plates on the ranger. Npw that she is my primary vehicle, she and the wife's wrangler get dv plates.

Yayy, i dont have to put money in a parking meter anymore!!! Ha ha ha

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Thank you! 3 coats of por15 (1 being the UV top coat) - still considering undercoating the whole truck with fluid film in the final assembly but weary of the tacky consistency since it doesn't set up or harden. Anybody have experience with fluid film?
Fluid film is the bees knees. NHOU is pretty similar and what I had done on the bronco. I paid 325$ to have mine done last year.. reapplications are slightly cheaper.

There are a couple other products that sound better IMO.. just more expensive.. like 2 or 3x as expensive. Doesn't necessarily need annual touch-ups though which is super awesome.

I believe the name of one is waxoil? It gets sprayed on via a heated gun.. then once it cools it hardens up.. like wax.. so unlike the fluid products it won't get washed off in high road spray areas.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I’d definitely do fluid film. Eventually it kinda washes off, takes awhile. It doesn’t harden so yeah, it makes a mess when you work on things but it’s better than rust. I’ve seen places that do like a thick greasy/oily thing and that works too but a little more nasty to work with than FF, but it lasts longer than FF. The asphalt undercoating stuff like ZeBart is garbage. Yeah, it hardens, but once rust gets going under it, it spreads like wildfire

Maritime Drag Racing

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
355 Chevrolet
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
2" drop rear shackles
Tire Size
27 X 5 X 15 Hoosier front - 9X30 Hoosier rear(slicks)
My credo
Race it - Break it - Fix it - Repeat
Back on it's wheels on the trailer after being about 2 feet up on blocks since October. All the underneath work is done so we'll be working under the hood next.

20240517_112532.jpg

20240517_112620.jpg

1984RESTOMOD

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" BODY LIFT
Tire Size
33"

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
You sold me. Great info guys - thanks!
Shoulda asked before you did the por15.. woulda told you to save the time/effort and just do the fluid film.

My buddy did por15 to one of his prior vehicles.. followed the directions to a T.. extremely thorough dude.. theres NO WAY he did it wrong.. and it started to fail around a year later.

He's since switched to yearly goopings of the fluid film and it allowed him to drive a 98 ranger that's lived its whole life in the salt belt until last year and 350k miles. If you put enough of the stuff on where it needs it, when it needs it.. you can literally say goodbye to ever needing to do rust remediation ever again.

1984RESTOMOD

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" BODY LIFT
Tire Size
33"
Shoulda asked before you did the por15.. woulda told you to save the time/effort and just do the fluid film.
I broke this thing down to the very last bolt before sandblast. Could not imagine the mess FF would have me in if I did that alone. In regards to time, yes it would have saved me tremendous time since I hand painted 2 coats on every piece of chassis bracketry and suspension. Live and learn!
IMG_3780.jpeg

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
A tip for you on the fluid film. If you have an air compressor, use a paint spray gun and the stuff that comes in 1 or 5 gallon cans. It's thicker and harder to get washed off from road spray. You absolutly have to have a compressor driven spray gun for the stuff though.

If not, the rattle cans work but won't last as long and ends up being more expensive but is more user friendly for those who don't have a lift and an air compressor to work with.

1984RESTOMOD

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" BODY LIFT
Tire Size
33"
A tip for you on the fluid film. If you have an air compressor, use a paint spray gun and the stuff that comes in 1 or 5 gallon cans. It's thicker and harder to get washed off from road spray. You absolutly have to have a compressor driven spray gun for the stuff though.

If not, the rattle cans work but won't last as long and ends up being more expensive but is more user friendly for those who don't have a lift and an air compressor to work with.
Good shit I’ll keep that n mind

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

XLTsplash
June Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals