• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Swapping a 3.0

curtisoke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hello, I have a 2004 automatic ranger that has over 200k miles. The previous owner tested the compression and said it was bad, he took off one of the heads and stopped there, and then I bought it. Getting the heads machined would have been more than the price of a different motor. So I picked up a 3.0 out of a 2000 for a couple hundred bucks. I know it's not a direct swap, but I've been told the heads and the block are the same, so I plan on swapping over the intake manifold, clave covers, etc, etc, from the engine that was on the truck into the one I got. The engine I bought has an automatic transmission in it, that should have less mileage then the one that's in the truck. Right now the engine and transmission that I bought are sitting on tires on the floor of the garage. I would like to seperate then so I can get the engine up on a stand so I can swap over the parts easier. Does anyone have any tips on the whole process? And is there anything I need to know before I try to seperate the engine and transmission on the floor? (I have an engine hoist if that makes any difference)

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
do the torque converter bolts first. since it's on the floor the separation is easy.
pull and inspect the cam synchronizer drive gear, replace the entire unit if it's worn.

if the 2004 heads are junk I have been sort of looking for some to slice up like a loaf of bread to see how much metal is available for porting work.

curtisoke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
do the torque converter bolts first. since it's on the floor the separation is easy.
pull and inspect the cam synchronizer drive gear, replace the entire unit if it's worn.

if the 2004 heads are junk I have been sort of looking for some to slice up like a loaf of bread to see how much metal is available for porting work.
Cool thanks. And yeah I believe they are, I would wanna hold on to them till I'm finished with the swap, but after that I'd probably let them go

mc17eln

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My 190k miles 2002 3.0 heads have one pitted exhaust valve. I spend 4+ hours removing 2 heads off a 2003 flex fuel 3.0. The OD removed but left in the truck shows 96k miles. Guess what, all 6 exhaust valves were pitted. You never know what you are getting from the yard, even with low mileage ones.

curtisoke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
My 190k miles 2002 3.0 heads have one pitted exhaust valve. I spend 4+ hours removing 2 heads off a 2003 flex fuel 3.0. The OD removed but left in the truck shows 96k miles. Guess what, all 6 exhaust valves were pitted. You never know what you are getting from the yard, even with low mileage ones.
Thanks for the input. We'll see how it works out with the motor I have

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals