• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Swap in cruise control?

mnewman

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
BII, Rangers
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Greetings all. I thought there was an article showing the steps to swap in stock cruise control onto a truck without. I have searched but I can't seem to find it. Anyone have a link? Or am I mistaken and that doesn't exist?

I have two '88s. One with cruise and tilt column but the other does not. I'm curious about the effort to switch it all from one to the other. Is the whole steering column different to get the tilt wheel? I'm trying to get an idea before I tear things apart.

Thanks.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It isn't a super easy thing but to me it wasn't too bad. From what I remember the main power plugs into the back of the fuse panel. You need the harness that runs between the servo and the amplifier (module) and the harness that goes to the steering wheel and of course the horn pad with buttons. You need to run wires down to a speed sensor on the trans/t-case and tap into the brake signal on the outside of the firewall. Install a vacuum switch on the pedals. And run all the vacuum lines (plain tubing)

Servo bracket and vacuum switch bracket are the hardest to acquire. One is riveted in and one is buried in the dash on top the pedal bracket.

A taste of what needs done:

If you go this route and need any help let me know. I have a lot of diagrams, connector pinouts and troubleshooting stuff and my truck is sitting in the garage if you need pics.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I did the duraspark and removal of computer on my B2 that had cruise. I know I removed the vacuum reservoir.

I assume this is something I'll have to reinstall to get mine to work again properly?

Is there just one vacuum line going to the speed control unit? Don't have the B2 to go out and look at currently...... @85_Ranger4x4

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The vacuum side can get funny and may require some experimentation. Vacuum is weird (dare I say it sucks?)

You need a vacuum line to the servo. Also one going to the brake pedal dump valve.

My donor was an 88 BII with a 2.9. Vacuum line went straight to the intake and had a check valve so I did that on mine. It surged bad (low vacuum) but since I was mashing together a lot of stuff that didn’t come together it threw me off. I hunted down a module from a carbed truck, I added a vacuum reservoir and as I installed that I discovered my hood hinge was pinching the vacuum hose on the top of the brake booster. Then it worked pretty good most of the time but it would still have surging fits. I did some more JY recon and noticed carbed vehicles usually didn’t have a check valve... so I deleted that. It had worked fine so far after that.

Going to Ohio it worked great aside from the trip out in Illonois. The bomb craters in the highway would make it surge. I don't know if it was the check valve sticking or if the PCV bounced and did something funny or what was going on exactly. And then after we got back it had two episodes without an impact.

No engine computer required. It does tap into the wiring of a EFI engine so the computer knows the cruise is on. My truck is a durasparked 5.0... so the aside from the aftermarket radio the most sophisticated electrical part on the truck is the cruise control module.

When I get the truck back together I want to bypass the reservoir and see how it works without it before I do a write up.

Factory install on a 2.9 Ranger:

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The vacuum side can get funny and may require some experimentation. Vacuum is weird (dare I say it sucks?)

You need a vacuum line to the servo. Also one going to the brake pedal dump valve.

My donor was an 88 BII with a 2.9. Vacuum line went straight to the intake and had a check valve so I did that on mine. It surged bad (low vacuum) but since I was mashing together a lot of stuff that didn’t come together it threw me off. I hunted down a module from a carbed truck, I added a vacuum reservoir and as I installed that I discovered my hood hinge was pinching the vacuum hose on the top of the brake booster. Then it worked pretty good most of the time but it would still have surging fits. I did some more JY recon and noticed carbed vehicles usually didn’t have a check valve... so I deleted that. It had worked fine so far after that.

Going to Ohio it worked great aside from the trip out in Illonois. The bomb craters in the highway would make it surge. I don't know if it was the check valve sticking or if the PCV bounced and did something funny or what was going on exactly. And then after we got back it had two episodes without an impact.

No engine computer required. It does tap into the wiring of a EFI engine so the computer knows the cruise is on. My truck is a durasparked 5.0... so the aside from the aftermarket radio the most sophisticated electrical part on the truck is the cruise control module.

When I get the truck back together I want to bypass the reservoir and see how it works without it before I do a write up.

Factory install on a 2.9 Ranger:

I still have that round resevior on the fender. I deleted the one on the passenger side. Maybe all of mine is still intact? B2 is at the transmission shop fighting a no shift issue. When it gets back I hope to try it out.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I still have that round resevior on the fender. I deleted the one on the passenger side. Maybe all of mine is still intact? B2 is at the transmission shop fighting a no shift issue. When it gets back I hope to try it out.
The round thing on the DS in the picture is the servo. It is like a big vacuum piston that moves the throttle cable.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The round thing on the DS in the picture is the servo. It is like a big vacuum piston that moves the throttle cable.
I was thinking it would be smaller, but it is an 80's servo lol

Thanks for the info. I'll get mine working when I get the B2 back.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals