• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Suspension Modifications

NMC_EXP

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
You all are well advised to think twice before spending a lot of money and time doing a big suspension lift and what not on a what is a decent pickup truck from the factory. A Bro- Doozer Ranger just grinds my guts. Plus, big suspension mods equal big headaches down the line.

Perfect from the factory? - No.

Better by shade tree engineering? - Not even maybe for 99% of the population. Not to say some pros have set them up to handle the Rubicon or whatever, but few of us can do that.

Reason for this post is I might to like to buy an another unmodified OHV Ranger some time in the future.

Leave them alone...they work just fine.

Jim

DRanger024

Supporting Member
Solid Axle Swap
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6-7” front maybe 3” rear
Total Drop
Tire Size
33x12.50-15

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
short bed reg cab with 4.0 and a manual trans......maybe.... depends on terrain bias.

extended cab......technically.....they definitely need work. whether you sawzall the fenders out to fit 35 in tires or mod the suspension to allow for it.....you need the clearance or

just stay in your car

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
You all are well advised to think twice before spending a lot of money and time doing a big suspension lift and what not on a what is a decent pickup truck from the factory. A Bro- Doozer Ranger just grinds my guts. Plus, big suspension mods equal big headaches down the line.

Perfect from the factory? - No.

Better by shade tree engineering? - Not even maybe for 99% of the population. Not to say some pros have set them up to handle the Rubicon or whatever, but few of us can do that.

Reason for this post is I might to like to buy an another unmodified OHV Ranger some time in the future.

Leave them alone...they work just fine.

Jim
Advice taken. Thank you.

I believe your "99%" estimate is quite an exaggeration. But I (as I believe you, also) do not have hard data to work with on that. So, it's not worth arguing. There are more than enough Rangers to go around so that you can have stock unmodified and the rest of us can have fun. We are all individual with different tastes and preferences, different skills and different bank accounts. There will always be a variety and thats what makes the world interesting.

Merry Christmas.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I’ve never owned a Ranger that I didn’t modify. I’ve had lifted ones, lowered ones, solid axle swapped, slammed on airbags, etc. Even my ‘23 Ranger got new bumpers, a roof rack, and a tune within the first week or 2 of owning it. It will get a lift in the future… I may even build it myself, but I have the knowledge and experience of working in a chassis shop.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I believe your "99%" estimate is quite an exaggeration.
General population... probably not that big of an exaggeration for setting up an aftermarket suspension. I suspect most struggle to change the batteries in their tv remote let alone anything where they might actually get dirty.

My truck isn't super tall, suspension is actually about the same height as factory with the topper on it. However nothing between the frame and oversize tires is factory original to the truck (wheels included)

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
in the true spirit of american hot rodding,

give me something, anything, and get outta da way for I've some creative wrenchin' to do.

iffin it don't come out right,,,,that's great 'cause then I get to do more wrenchin' :icon_thumby:

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
You want whatever it is you want. Have fun and enjoy. I want what I want and will continue to pursue my endeavors. I’m thinking of lifting all the RBVs I have , selling them and buying all new stock to lift again. Slowly I’ll convert the planet to a lifted society. Free of squatty little puddle splashers. Now it’s off to my lab to engineer some poor quality do dads for my monster truck.
TW out.
Edit. Merry Christmas and all that. 😁

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
I drove the same unmodified truck for 24 years. It did most things well. Then again, it was pretty boring, certainly not fun. Some of us prefer to play or just ask the truck to do more, especially towing or hauling heavier loads. Lifted suspensions are great for off road work. Others may want a sports truck: fast and light and fun to drive, especially if lowered a little or a lot.

This time around, I've wanted more, a little more of everything. My 2003 is a Ford Edge. I put larger tires on for safety reasons. Also I live in the snow belt. I don't want to get stuck. I lowered it an inch to improve the handling, also added a front sway bar. I put uprated Monroe shocks in front and got a little better ride. I dare say these modifications improve handling and traction, and while all pickups tend to plow through corners, this one handles better than many sedans. I put James Duff traction bars on the back which help when taking turns under hard acceleration. They also made the shifts feel clean and smooth.

The reasons for the upgrades are important. It is less likely to flip, and brakes better without swerving, keeping me in greater control. Besides, now it is fun to drive.

These days it seems everybody wants a lifted truck with great big tires and wheels. That's great for off road, but not always the best for the street. A few like that Truxarosa look. Sure fine, I guess. The joy of owning a truck is that the suspension is easily modified.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I drove the same unmodified truck for 24 years. It did most things well. Then again, it was pretty boring, certainly not fun. Some of us prefer to play or just ask the truck to do more, especially towing or hauling heavier loads. Lifted suspensions are great for off road work. Others may want a sports truck: fast and light and fun to drive, especially if lowered a little or a lot.

This time around, I've wanted more, a little more of everything. My 2003 is a Ford Edge. I put larger tires on for safety reasons. Also I live in the snow belt. I don't want to get stuck. I lowered it an inch to improve the handling, also added a front sway bar. I put uprated Monroe shocks in front and got a little better ride. I dare say these modifications improve handling and traction, and while all pickups tend to plow through corners, this one handles better than many sedans. I put James Duff traction bars on the back which help when taking turns under hard acceleration. They also made the shifts feel clean and smooth.

The reasons for the upgrades are important. It is less likely to flip, and brakes better without swerving, keeping me in greater control. Besides, now it is fun to drive.

These days it seems everybody wants a lifted truck with great big tires and wheels. That's great for off road, but not always the best for the street. A few like that Truxarosa look. Sure fine, I guess. The joy of owning a truck is that the suspension is easily modified.
I prefer something in between. I want to off road but I have to drive it on road and on long trips fairly often. So, compromises to meet the missions have to be made.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
I prefer something in between. I want to off road but I have to drive it on road and on long trips fairly often. So, compromises to meet the missions have to be made.
And that's the beauty of a pickup. We can make them fit our needs.

DRanger024

Supporting Member
Solid Axle Swap
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6-7” front maybe 3” rear
Total Drop
Tire Size
33x12.50-15
Mine is really just something to mess around with at this point. I don’t have to drive it anywhere if I don’t want to. With that being said, it’s been unmodified for approximately 3 months out of the MANY years I’ve owned it.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
Mine is really just something to mess around with at this point. I don’t have to drive it anywhere if I don’t want to. With that being said, it’s been unmodified for approximately 3 months out of the MANY years I’ve owned it.
You did more than just the suspension...lots more!

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
1998-2011 Rangers are difficult and expensive to lift.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals