• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('02-'11) Sudden Misfire

FiremanBob

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My '01 2.3 Duratec with 295K miles suddenly started misifiring last night and threw a code for cylinder 4 misfire. Today I took it on a 10-mile test drive with Forscan running. It misfired quite badly although the CEL did not flash. I tried to attach the Forscan log to this post but apparently it is not an allowed file type. Other than fuel trim which is around -6%, everything seems ok except the misfire.

The last three times this has happened since I bought the truck in 2017 it was the coil gone bad. Probably the same this time, but I'm posting in case something else might be at fault. It would be great if I could attach a Forscan log.

FiremanBob

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
I guess it's a boring question. Today I pulled the plug from cylinder 4 (which was the one noted in the DTC). It looked perfect. I am pretty sure the coil is the problem and plan to get a new one tomorrow.

Attached is a screen cap of the Forscan log I did this morning with the truck at rest in the driveway. The only anomalous reading was the short-term fuel trim which ran -5-10%. I think this could be due to the misfire causing unburned fuel to go into the O2 sensor. I'll know tomorrow anyway. I wonder what other items I should run on the forscan log to get a better diagnosis.
Slide1.JPG

FiremanBob

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
Installed new coil pack. No change. Still misfires under load from 1800-2500 rpm. But while Forscan and I can both see and feel the misfire, it doesn't throw a code. Smooths out when I get the revs up. Still running rich. Now the mystery begins. Unless someone here knows what I should look for.

I'm going to start with checking for an exhaust leak, then try a compression test. I suppose changing the plug wires should be done to rule that out, but this set isn't very old - not more than 2 years and less than 10K miles.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
how is the oil consumption?
when my '05 hit hi miles the rings in cylinder # 1 started loosing compression and let oil by.
that started an occasional miss that got progressively worse.

FiremanBob

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
Thanks, pj. Oil use is <1 quart per thousand miles. I haven't smelled any oil in the exhaust.

I ran a compression test Wednesday. Results were:

1 168
2 170
3 160
4 164

I'm stumped.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals