• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Steering wheel wont come loose.

Otis413

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
The Problem.
Is there something I'm missing about pulling the steering wheel on a 03 Ranger XLT? I removed the air-bag, the ignition switch and the center bolt is backed out about half way to push against with a two jaw gear puller. I'v cranked down on the gear puller till there's groans and squeaks, (me and the truck) the steering wheel won't budge and I'm afraid of breaking something..

The Project.
I just bought the 03 Ranger XLT with a "blown" motor, a good frame and decent body, (besides rusty rocker panels and a botched home paint job) My 04 Edge runs great but the frame is shot, patched it 3 times already... So I'm starting another "build one out of three" project (02 XLT, 03 XLT and my current ride; 04 Edge) All 4.0L OHC auto trans 4-doors.

More unnecessary information.
I started pulling things apart because of a lot of play in the gear selector (wouldn't go in Park, only turn over in N) I tracked that problem down to some loose steering column bolts under the dash, but I'd still like to use my 04 steering wheel (the 03s buttons are all mangled and I like the style of the 04 wheel better) on the 03 truck. I plan to swap most of the 04's interior, doors, hood, bed, bumpers and grill onto the 03.

Thanks for any tips and input!

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I assume you screwed a couple bolts into the wheel to pull against,once you get some pressure on the forcing screw give it a solid tap with a hammer. You're just trying to shock it loose, don't over do it.

Otis413

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Yea, this setup requires a two armed gear puller rather then the usual wheel puller/bolts I'm used to using with older Ford and Dodge products. I tapped on it with a hammer once it was tight but nothing moved. I don't see any way to heat it without damaging something.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Multiple
Make / Model
Rangers
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
stock
Total Drop
stock
Tire Size
stock
My credo
I don't subscribe to causes that are compelled by irrational fears.
There's a plug that goes from the clockspring to the wheel that sends signals for the cruise control buttons, make sure that is unplugged as well, it's easy to miss. Other than that, it should come loose with enough force. I would avoid heating it because the clockspring is frail and there's a wiring harness on the steering column for the multi-function switch.

If the wire is unplugged and you're still struggling, it is not difficult to remove the entire steering column, and you may have better luck getting the wheel off with the column out of the car. You do not have to remove the steering wheel pull the column assembly out. The assembly is held in with four bolts under the dash and a pinch bolt connecting the upper column to the yoke for the lower shaft and steering rack. You'll also need to disconnect cables for your shift gear indicator (be careful, this is a frail part that is easy to miss and break, and virtually impossible to replace.), as well as the wiring harnesses for the multi-function switch and the clock spring, and the plunger that the shift lever uses to put the vehicle in gear (before you do this step, engage the parking brake and wedge the wheels, your truck will fall out of park when you pull this off the column).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals