• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.0L ('83-'88) Replacement fuel filler hose, 1987 std can/SB, solution found!

corerftech

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I found one for my 1990 but the 87 or the like don’t exist.

Is there a model year anyone has compared that is close enough on an 83-88 Std Cab SB??
I just need the exterior hose, only one source found at $110 and that’s stupid expensive- won’t do it.

Thanks in advance

jcwhidby

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Try fillernecksupply.com. They have the best ones, maybe not the cheapest.

corerftech

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
They are the ones at $110 for the whole assembly but your prompting made me look at their alternatives. I can probably repair the outer hose with an elbow and a couple of clamps, plus a short metal sleeve. They sell all of it.
First bend at tank inlet is always what dies. No reason not to fab an “assembly” to replace using mostly existing parts!
Thank you for the chance to rethink.

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
Have u looked at lmc truck?maybe they have something

corerftech

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
So I finally unboxed my replacement 1990 std bed/cab fuel filler hose assm and compared to the 83-88 version.

The 1990 OEM has a LONG metal inlet and the 87 has a very short. The 90 has a metal reinforcement insert at the tank inlet end, the 87 is just a hose. Otherwise they are identical.
The reason the 90 failed is the steel insert at tank filler end is very oversized and caused such expansion of the outer hose that the hose fails. The early hose is just that, a single diameter hose.
The aftermarket 90 replacement hose is a unicorn, it has the LONG inlet neck with NO expansion part at the tank end. This the length is correct for either situation, from the upper flange that screws to the bed all the way down to the tank end hose.
The aftermarket device (89-92 fitment) is an early hose with a 92 inlet and missing the 92 outlet expander.
$50 on Amazon and delivered in a couple of days.

I’ll post pictures tonight or tomorrow which will clarify the differences and similarities.

Very pleased!

corerftech

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Pics
87B0F122-6A75-4333-833A-3CE2DD8F2886.jpegC8793D56-6A3A-46EB-8E5A-37662DF4DB42.jpeg

So the 1990 on left, 87 on right.
The outer tube will fit either. Inner tube as well.
The metal reinforcement inner tube is not present on 87, which is why it lasted as long as it did.
The new replacement, will post a link, will fit either. Installed last night and found the filler neck must be recessed into the outer hose “to fit” your particular chassis so that a kink doesn’t develop due to OAL too long.
Then I realized there is zero difference in both years except the reinforcement tube.
Made me pretty happy about affordable replacements.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals