• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

rear axle shaft removal on 93 ranger

jkretzer

i am working on a mt truck that just needs to carry us in the woods. it is a 93 ranger, 5 speed, v6. i am replacing all the brakes and when i went to get the last tire off 3 out of the 5 lugs sheared off, so i have to pull the axle and press the old lugs out and new ones in. how do i pull the axle. i have only pulled 1 axle b4 but that was on my dodge diesel truck. i have removed the rear dif cover and looked late last night for a c clip that normally holds in teh axles shafts. all i saw (without rotating the axle) was a clip that looked like an S sitting on the carrier. will the spider gears stay put while i pull the shaft out? thanks for any help, j

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
your truck has trac-lock.remove the 8mm lock bolt,rotate the diff so the pin will slide out and you can still get to the c-clips(you might need to remove the right carrier bearing cap to get the lock bolt out).if you dont rotate the diff while the pin is out parts should stay put,its also a good idea to put the pin back after the clips come out to keep it in place.you might want to do axleshaft seals while you have it apart also.

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i am working on a mt truck that just needs to carry us in the woods. it is a 93 ranger, 5 speed, v6. i am replacing all the brakes and when i went to get the last tire off 3 out of the 5 lugs sheared off, so i have to pull the axle and press the old lugs out and new ones in. how do i pull the axle. i have only pulled 1 axle b4 but that was on my dodge diesel truck. i have removed the rear dif cover and looked late last night for a c clip that normally holds in teh axles shafts. all i saw (without rotating the axle) was a clip that looked like an S sitting on the carrier. will the spider gears stay put while i pull the shaft out? thanks for any help, j
There is a pin in the carrier that you need to take out. It has a 5/16 head bolt holding it in. Take that bolt out and the pin should slide out of the center. Once that is out push the axle you want out in towards the center of the axle housing and the "C" clip should be there. Reverse the order to put back together. While you have it apart put an axle seal in.

jkretzer

thanks guys i do apprecaite it. it isnt my truck and to tell you the truth i dont see it lasting much longer. it is used hard every year for bearhunting, never gets serviced and never sees a wash except when it rains or we cross a creek. i found a can of veina sausages on the frame rail below the motor from 4 yrs ago, unopened. guess the guy i hunt with heard a bear chase and forgot he was warming up lunch.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals