• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

power steering pump and gearbox help.

tekkatekka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have 1991 Ranger, 4x4, 4.0 engine. I removed the gear box and power steering pump. About to install rebuilt pump and gearbox and new lines.
What do I need to do about the ATF fluid. Do I need to add any to the gearbox before installing or the pump. What to do to bleed it after install? Thanks for any help.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Just install it all dry. Once it's all in place fill the pump with fluid, start the engine, and turn the steering wheel back and forth lock to lock. It may be best to do this before you hook the linkage back up to the box. Keep the fluid level to the full mark. Then hook the steering linkage up and drive it. It may be noisey for a while till the air works out of the fluid. These pumps are known for noise, so you will probably have some noise anyway.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I use Mercon atf in my power steering. When Ford released dedicated power steering fluid years ago we got some for stock and I read the back of the bottle. It meets Mercon specs but comes in a pint bottle for more money.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals