• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

O2 sensor

Dangeranger3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
1999 Explorer 4.0 Passenger after cat O2 sensor is bad but I can't get it out for the life of me!!! I remember reading letting the exhaust warm up a little bit will help but does anyone have any other tips? I can't get a good swing at the wrench with a hammer even with a block against it. And now the bolt is starting to round off. Any ideas at all would be appreciated. Thanks.

NVR2FST

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I just went through this today...I kept soaking it and heating it (red hot), put a 1/2" ratchet on it with a pipe and pulled like crazy. Just make sure you use an 8pt socket (I cut off the pig tail and enough of the old sensor to fit the socket). Several hours later I got it out. Good luck!

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
i have seen them in specialty uses but don't remember what it was .aircraft maybe?

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
There is a special oxygen sensor socket around, that has a slot in it for the pigtail.

Having said that, you can use a box end wrench or flare nut wrench as well. Do NOT use an open end wrench. Cheater pipes help.

I don't think I've ever seen a bad downstream HEGO sensor. A code there usually means the cat is ineffective or there is an electrical problem. Anything that might foul the downstream sensor is going to hit the upstream sensor worse.

homeless69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
MAKG,
Since we are on the 02 sensor topic maybe you could help out here. I had pulled a code for the 1st bank sensor, replaced it and the engine still hesitates but not as much as before, would it have been a good idea to replace both upstreams instead of just the replacing the one? Wondering what your thoughts on this might be.
Thanks again.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

And most (though not all) HEGO sensor codes aren't due to HEGO sensors. No code authoritatively condemns any sensor, and you can very easily flip lean codes by misfiring one cylinder (among quite a few other potential causes).

HEGO sensors do eventually get consumed, but not ANYWHERE NEAR as quickly as people seem to think. I've got two original fully functioning oxygen sensors in my Prizm with it's 265,000 miles. Almost all oxygen sensors are the same, aside from mounting details, how the sensor is grounded, and whether or not it is heated.

Dangeranger3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I got the sensor off with the wrench (not the open end) I think letting it soak in PB overnight and a little massaging from the BFH helped out. FWIW autozone does have the special socket that you can just borrow. I think it would have made the job easier from the beginning. Also, the sensor did look slighly fouled and was full of white buildup in one of the slots which air enters. So hopefully this fixes the problem. And the CEL has to be reset correct? Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals