• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New in North Carolina

jabs2006

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have been waiting for some time to become a member and finally found an 85 2.3 4x4 5speed. I spent some time as a ford tech (99-09) and feel very well versed as far as those go but I just bought the 85 and am looking to do quite a bit of restoration to it. The first favor I's like to ask is if anyone can point me in the direction of where I can get a remained engine and a good place for replacement parts. Thanks

Shadowrider6661

D RANGED
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Stock
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
33 x 12.50 x 15
My credo
Drive it, Break it, Fix it, REPEAT !
There are quite a few sites where you can get what you need, search Google for remanufactured engines. You'll be surprised by how many are out there. Welcome to the Club.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
Welcome.

I swear by Rockauto (price, quality and usually quick delivery), and I buy a lot off eBay. Craigslist & Pull-a-part, of course.

jabs2006

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the replies, I had looked at several different places and I guess I was under the impression that a single plug 2.3 from 1985 was a little more difficult to find than others...thanks again

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Single plug? That is rare. Most of us have 4 plugs or 6 plugs....

jabs2006

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Single plug? That is rare. Most of us have 4 plugs or 6 plugs....
So glad this is such a good place for information and clever replies...I'm sure your'e well aware but the 2.3 was offered in a single plug (per cylinder) as well as a dual plug (per cylinder). I was simply trying to see if there was a difference in the block or the heads or just what may be different since an 85 is much harder to find. I apologize, I thought there might be some people here with information and not just those that breath with their mouths open and need simple things broken down for them.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
So glad this is such a good place for information and clever replies...I'm sure your'e well aware but the 2.3 was offered in a single plug (per cylinder) as well as a dual plug (per cylinder). I was simply trying to see if there was a difference in the block or the heads or just what may be different since an 85 is much harder to find. I apologize, I thought there might be some people here with information and not just those that breath with their mouths open and need simple things broken down for them.
He was joking around. There are plenty of people here with the info you need. I’m not one of them. Please be patient. They’ll be along later. At this time on a Saturday, most are probably out wrenching or wheeling or working on their “honey do lists”.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Sorry, I’m bad about going too far on the first date. I enjoy the fun of this place, but it all started with getting great help from good people very knowledgeable on these things. I didn’t know the 1-2 plug thing. My ignorance coupled with putting my butt on my shoulders simultaneously with my foot in my mouth has been well honed after 65 years....

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
I think 88 was the last year of the single-plug head 2.3 lima. I do think a ‘89 - 97 block would still be compatible with a single plug head. Of course keeping as close to your original year would make for less headaches as far as sensors & other minor changes. Is yours rebuildable? Id go that route if you could, youd know exactly what was in it . Rock auto is a decent parts source, they dont have everything though. sometimes you can find stuff on ebay or craigslist. Welcome and start a build page, there’s plenty of help here and keeping a record of your project can be a good reference point down the road for you and others as well.

jabs2006

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Sorry, I’m bad about going too far on the first date. I enjoy the fun of this place, but it all started with getting great help from good people very knowledgeable on these things. I didn’t know the 1-2 plug thing. My ignorance coupled with putting my butt on my shoulders simultaneously with my foot in my mouth has been well honed after 65 years....
My apologies for being overly sensitive, but I do appreciate the humor. Thanks

jabs2006

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I think 88 was the last year of the single-plug head 2.3 lima. I do think a ‘89 - 97 block would still be compatible with a single plug head. Of course keeping as close to your original year would make for less headaches as far as sensors & other minor changes. Is yours rebuildable? Id go that route if you could, youd know exactly what was in it . Rock auto is a decent parts source, they dont have everything though. sometimes you can find stuff on ebay or craigslist. Welcome and start a build page, there’s plenty of help here and keeping a record of your project can be a good reference point down the road for you and others as well.
Yes I think it is, best quote I've gotten was $1400...seems a little high which was why I was thinking of just going with a long block. I just bought it and the guy delivered it about 120 miles so I feel it is somewhat roadworthy but it has a massive exhaust leak and a miss at idle. He said a week prior he downshifted real hard and the miss started. not sure if its coincidence or if it something base engine. I need to dig into it just no time yet. Thanks for the info.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals