• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need help on 2nd gear problem...

mycool88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My mule is a '91 4x4 Ranger Supercab 2.9L w/Mitsubishi FM146 5-speed manual and electronically shifting transfer case. Last week I was going to work and attempted to shift into 2nd gear, and it wouldn't stay...next time I tried it grinded, but would stay IF I held the stick tightly to the bottom of shift range. BUT, if I normally go into 2nd, it won't hold and I skip it altogether...I also notice that the clutch master cylinder reservoir is a little low. I only bled once when tranny was installed, but worked fine, then. Tranny is about 1 1/2 years old and was remanufactured by reputable local rebuild center.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated and welcomed!!! Thanks in advance.

:dntknw:

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like the "splines" on the 2nd gear are rounded off. This is a consequence of grinding into gear, so it's not too likely to be a primary problem (it's the result of something else, possibly a clutch release problem).

It's also possible that the thrust clearance is getting a bit wide, but I'd expect the problem to show up in some other gear first, especially 4th.

There is no fix aside from replacing 2nd gear and/or the 1/2 synchronizer slip-ring. I suppose it's possible that ring was installed backwards, but the problem would have shown up right away after installation then.

The most cost effective route is to replace the transmission with a junkyard M5OD. I wouldn't suggest paying to rebuild an FM146. It's not a good design.

mycool88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
reply...

thanks MAKG...is this a direct bolt-up??? Will start search at JY...

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Look for one out of a 4.0. The 4.0 and 2.9 have the same bolt pattern. Also switch in a 4.0 clutch. It is also a bolt on. There is a right up in the tech section. If you have a 4x4 get a 4x4 tranny. Other than that it should be good.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
While 4.0L M5ODs are a LOT easier to find (almost any Exploder with a stick, for instance), the 2.9L ones have wider gearing.

You need the stick as well. Sticks seldom interchange between transmission models. Even closely related ones.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals