• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Micro camper from Ranger service body

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
Saturday was wiring day. I got as far as I could on the exterior stuff, installed and wired the charge controller, fuse panel, 2 relays, 2 switched and 1 unswitched power outlets and got the handful of wires for the interior up through the floor at least. I then hooked up one of the batteries very temporarily and the panels were supplying it about 60w of power on a little bit cloudy day with the sun partially blocked by a tree. Once the tongue is replaced and the box is mounted I'll be able to mount the batteries permanently.
20240511_184613.jpg
20240511_184622.jpg
20240511_184629.jpg

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
No pictures but a bit of weekend progress. Got all of the doors filled with expanding foam, cut the welds on a few strikers and shimmed them out so the back doors fit tightly, and installed weatherstrip on the front two doors. The difference in rigidity and lack of rattles is unbelievable in comparison to before.
Tuesday will hopefully bring a new tongue and mounted storage and battery box. There will be pictures of those. Then all that's left is finishing out the inside and painting the frame. Getting closer by the day.

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
Yesterday a couple friends and I chopped the tongue off and extended it to help it tow a bit better and give me a place for a tongue box.

We cut the frame, sleeved in some 2x4x3/16 channel which was plug welded and mostly perimeter welded to the frame and extended it by 14 inches over what was there. As a unintended benefit, we were also able to cut out most of the really thin and rotted part of the driver side frame rail (all of the remaining thin metal is in the bottom inch or so) I towed it back home after and it has made a very significant improvement to how it tows.
20240521_110254.jpg
20240521_105557.jpg
20240521_105551.jpg
20240521_110257.jpg
20240521_185548.jpg
20240521_181005.jpg
20240521_195931.jpg

Last edited:

Robertmangrum.rm

Wannabe Overlander
RBV's on Boost
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5 level kit with rear add a leaf appox. 1.5
Tire Size
305/70r17
My credo
Buy it, build it, and drive it like you stole it
Sweet setup

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
First time looking at this thread. I like what I see, and I'd like to throw an idea at you.

On one side behind the door, what would you think of the idea of installing a fold-down shelf outside to hold a Coleman cook stove or whatever? The idea would be to use the stove in the open while under the awning. Of course, the shelf would be folded against the side and secured while on the road.

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
First time looking at this thread. I like what I see, and I'd like to throw an idea at you.

On one side behind the door, what would you think of the idea of installing a fold-down shelf outside to hold a Coleman cook stove or whatever? The idea would be to use the stove in the open while under the awning. Of course, the shelf would be folded against the side and secured while on the road.
That's not a bad idea honestly and I may do something of the sort at one point. I'd like to get it done enough to use first and just kind of be aware of how I use it and what I'm lacking, because how I think it's going to work and how it actually works may be two different things. In the meantime I'm going to utilize the bed of my truck for such things, might work great, might not, I'll see. There is enough room in the rear of the frame, where I could likely remove and redesign the rear crossmember to allow me to put a compartment in there for a folding table and possibly some chairs, that's also been a thought

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
The last of the external wiring (other than the reverse lights i just need to plug in) has now been completed. The charge controller is fully tested and operational. When I start on the interior I'll build a battery cover but it's now working as intended. Last night I sealed a couple roof seams, once that cures fully I'll water test it and the interior build out will start soon after.
20240525_115947.jpg
Screenshot_20240525_120313_DC Home.jpg

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
Well, I couldn't wait for the rain to see if there were still any leaks so I spent yesterday putting all of the wall and ceiling insulation in. I also picked up some plywood for the floor and a couple other odds and ends. One issue with the insulation that I found is the insulation crushes a little more easily than I thought it may so I'll be adding some floor support to the edges of the plywood then trimming the foam to suit. I'll likely be using some 5/4 x 6 pine and ripping it down the middle, it should be dimensionally similar to the insulation. So far I'll have only lost about 1.5 inches of vertical height and nothing in width or length. Once I panel the walls and ceiling I'll lose another 1/2 inch in width and 1/4 in length and height. It doesn't feel any smaller inside really so that's a plus.
20240526_212421.jpg

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
It's been raining pretty good all day, there are no roof leaks now, so the seam sealing must have worked. I was able to go pick up the boards I needed and get them put away before the rain started. I'll be getting it ready for the floor and possibly installing it tomorrow afternoon.

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
A couple of evenings this week have given me enough time to add some structure to the floor insulation and get the floor secured (twice, because I didn't like how it turned out the first time) and I'm working on getting all the seams taped up on the ceiling currently. As a side note, with the floor in but no mattress in there I have about a foot over my head when sitting upright so once the 8 inch mattress goes in I'll still have enough room inside.
Sorry i didnt get any pics of the floor structure I added but there's wood around the perimeter and right down the center under the seam. Tomorrow im going to get the floor cleaned and a coat of poly applied to it so I can work inside without worrying about marking up the wood. Hoping to have all the panels cut and fit by the end of the weekend so I can work on getting them painted during next week.
20240530_193139.jpg

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Ain't nuthin' says "Get 'er done", like the smell of fresh plywood.

That is looking good!

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
Ain't nuthin' says "Get 'er done", like the smell of fresh plywood.

That is looking good!
It sure smells a ton better in there than before I started the project, that's for sure. Now that I look back, it's kind of progressing quickly which is nice.

I'm really trying my best to set aside my disdain for carpentry and get it done as nicely as I can, haha. Thank you for the kind words.

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
Today I got all of the wall and ceiling panels cut and painted, then realized I bought screws that are too short so I guess installation will wait until Tuesday when the screws show up. I've decided the upper corners will be aluminum panels as there isn't a great way to attach wood in that area as it's all single layer. Pics coming when I get the panels attached.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

TRS Events

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Rick W
October Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

25th Anniversary Merch

Follow TRS On Instagram

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals